Undergraduate students of all majors participate in the Dominican Experience. The program’s four components are rooted in proven educational methods:
- Work with an integrative coach
- Complete signature work
- Build a digital portfolio
- Engage with the community
Learning Opportunities That Yield Results
The benefits of the Dominican Experience directly correlate to what today’s employers are looking for:
- 94% of employers are more likely to hire a graduate who has completed an internship.
- 68% of employers are more likely to hire a student who has completed a community-based project.
- 73% of employers believe college students should complete a significant applied project.
- 80% of employers say it would be useful to explore a digital portfolio that demonstrates a candidate's skills and experience.
- Employees are 2x more involved in their work if they had a mentor who encouraged them to pursue their dreams.
A Closer Look at the Dominican Experience
Alone, each of these four components presents an incredible learning opportunity. But, together, they represent Dominican’s signature academic model. What will your Dominican Experience look like?
There’s typical college advising, and then there’s integrative coaching. From your first year at Dominican through your final semester, you’ll work one-on-one with your coach as well as a network of mentors across campus. Learn more about integrative coaching.
What are you most curious about? Fascinated by? What have you always wanted to create? Perform? Your signature work will allow you to pursue a passion while using all the skills and knowledge you’ve gained throughout your years at Dominican. The end result is wholly your own: It could be a research paper, a book, a piece of art, or an invention. Learn more about creating signature work.
Service work. Internships. A semester abroad. Your Dominican Experience will take you into the community to do something meaningful and memorable, whether it’s here on campus, in Marin County, in a major city like San Francisco, or across the Pacific. Learn more about community engagement.
Demonstrate career readiness with a robust digital portfolio that showcases your skills and talents via examples of your scholarly and creative work. Plus, share your reflections, academic milestones, and career and educational plans. Learn more about creating a digital portfolio.