Dominican’s Premed Track allows students of any major to meet the requirements necessary to apply to a variety of health professional programs, while gaining access to exclusive opportunities and programs to help prepare them for a career in the health sciences.
Students completing the Pre-Med Track complete the following minimum requirements:
- One year of English
(at Dominican: Effective Communication 1 and Effective Communication 2)
- One year of general chemistry (with lab)
(at Dominican: CHEM 2000/05 and CHEM 2100/05)
- One year of organic chemistry (with lab)
(at Dominican: CHEM 3800/05 and CHEM 3900/05)
- One year of physics (with lab)
(at Dominican: PHYS 2000/05 and PHYS 2100/05)
- One year of general biology (with lab)
(at Dominican: BIO 1100/05 and BIO 2800/05)
- MCAT prep-1 semester of Biochemistry and Psychology
(at Dominican: CHEM 4100/05 and PSY 1100)
The Pre-Med Track requirements are based on admissions requirements from most health professional schools, according to the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC), the American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine (AACOM) and American Dental Association (ADA). Always check the individual school’s website for updated information.
Please note: Criminal background checks, or information relating to a student’s criminal background, are not used as part of the admissions process at Dominican University of California (DUOC). Students should be aware that some programs train students to sit for the State of California or national licensure and certification examinations that qualify them to work in the field relating to their program of choice.
The following programs constitute a list of 2021/2022 DUOC programs that train for licensure or certification: Nursing, Occupational Therapy, Physicians Assistants, Counseling Psychology, Art Therapy (Marriage & Family Therapy), and Education.
Students with questions relating to criminal background requirements, who wish to enroll in these programs at DUOC should speak to an Academic Advisor and reference the specific qualifications for degree completion, and license or certification.
Dominican’s premedical students have the opportunity to:
- Complete prerequisites in a timely manner.
- Gain research experience starting freshman year. (Biology and Chemistry majors only)
- Receive premedical four year plans, individual pre-health advising, interview practice and letters of recommendation.
- Shadow physicians abroad with our partners in the Global Education Office and Atlantis pre-med fellowship abroad program. Together they match students with international hospitals so they can shadow physicians, gain exposure to the medical field in a foreign country, immerse themselves in a different culture and earn University internship credit.
- Join the Pre-Health Honors Society: Alpha Epsilon Delta (AED) Chapter.
- Apply to be part of our Kaiser Permanente Pre-Med Mentorship Program. Learn more in the section below. (Biology, Chemistry majors or minors only)
- Enroll in our 45 percent discounted, on-campus KAPLAN MCAT Prep Course.
Post-Baccalaureate Premedical Program
Launching in Fall 2020, Dominican will offer a Post-Baccalaureate Premedical Program for students who have completed an undergraduate degree. This program includes prerequisites for Medical, Dental, PA, Pharmacy or Veterinary medicine, as well as access to courses to improve their Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT) score.
Our alumni have been accepted to:
- UC Davis School of Medicine
- Loyola University of Chicago Stritch School of Medicine
- Ross University School of Medicine
- University of Southern California College of Optometry
- Touro University of Nevada College of Osteopathic Medicine
- University of the Pacific Dugoni School of Dentistry
- UC San Francisco School of Pharmacy
- UC San Diego Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Ohio State University Veterinary School
- UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine
Kaiser Permanente Pre-Med Mentorship Program
The Dominican Pre-Med Mentor Program gives undergraduate students interested in a career in medicine the opportunity to experience firsthand a typical day in the life of a doctor.
This program is designed to give you in-depth exposure to the medical field, to help you make a more informed choice when choosing this as a career path.
Each student will be matched with a Mentor, a Marin County Kaiser Permanente Physician. You will meet with your mentor on a regular basis throughout the year. Your mentor will help you explore the profession and better understand what it means to be a doctor. They will give you an inside look at the world of healthcare, teach you interesting facts about medical issues and procedures, and share tips and recommendation on medical school.
In addition, this program will offer you the opportunity to explore a variety of specialties through numerous rotations, allowing you to ask questions and giving you insight into each field. Rotations may include but are not limited to: Emergency Medicine, Surgery, Primary Care, OB/GYN, Urology, Gastroenterology, Nephrology, Infectious Diseases, Ophthalmology, Anesthesiology, Adult Medicine/Internal Medicine, and Pediatrics.
- Professional Attire
- Professional Conduct
- DU Class Rank (in application year) – Sophomore, Junior or Senior
- 3.4 Cumulative GPA or better
- Commitment to meet with Mentor on a regular basis
- Participation in Rotations
- Provide/acquire transportation to San Rafael, Petaluma and/or Novato locations
- Documentation of “negative” PPD skin test (to be arranged by the DU Student Health Center)
- Mandatory attendance at Orientation Meeting (HIPAA/Confidentiality)
To apply for the program eligible students must complete an application, write a personal statement and attend an interview with the selection committee. Participants are chosen at the end of the fall semester.
To apply for the Dominican Pre-Med Mentor Program and for additional questions, please contact Dr. Diara Spain.
School of Health and Natural Sciences
Mon.–Fri., 8 a.m.–5 p.m.