- Laptop vs. desktop: A portable system is useful for school, and modern laptops and desktops are priced comparatively.
- RAM: at least 4 GB or more of RAM. The more memory, the better the computer will run. 8 GB is a decent number, but if you are going to be editing large graphic files or videos, 16 GB is ideal.
- Processor: It’s not necessary to invest in the fastest processor. Current processors are fast enough for most work you will be doing.
- Storage (Hard Disk Drive / Solid State Drive): for normal work at school, a 256GB drive should be sufficient, unless you will be editing large graphic or video files. It’s not unusual for modern systems to come with 1TB drives. Solid State Drives are faster than Hard Disk Drives, but large SSDs are expensive.
- External Hard Drives: useful for backup, and we strongly recommend backing up your data.
Apple on Campus: Apple discounts for students, faculty and staff.
Apple at Dominican University of California
Dominican University carries a full line of Apple® products. We’re here to support students, parents, faculty, and staff in purchasing technology that will help them succeed during their academic careers and beyond.
Take advantage of education pricing when you shop apple.com. It’s a great way to save on a new Mac® or iPad®, access the full range of Apple products including Apple Watch® and iPhone®, and shop for Apple-branded accessories and a curated selection of third-party software and accessories. Remember to look for customization and personalization options when you order.
You can shop for Apple products online 24/7 and get free delivery right to your door. Or choose the option to pick up your order at your local Apple Store.
Save on a new Mac and/or iPad for your studies.
Mac is a creative powerhouse that gives you new ways to be creative and productive. It’s built for the classroom, with fast processors and all-day battery life. It comes with powerful software so you can handle your everyday tasks and the most ambitious projects. Unleash your creative potential with the Pro Apps Bundle. Get all five professional apps for music and video at a special price — including Logic Pro® X and MainStage®, along with Final Cut Pro® X, Motion, and Compressor.
Software and hardware made for each other. Because Apple designs both the software and hardware, every Mac delivers the best possible experience. macOS® is the most advanced desktop operating system. It’s designed alongside the Mac hardware so everything works together seamlessly, and it has powerful built-in tools and apps for life in and out of the classroom.
Built to handle work on the go. With a remarkable unibody design that’s thin and light, Mac notebooks are incredibly portable, yet strong enough to handle just about any task you might come across, anywhere you go.
iPad changes the way you learn. It’s thin and light, so you can take learning way beyond the classroom. And with up to 10 hours of battery life, you can work and play all day without ever having to stop to recharge.*
Your learning materials come alive thanks to the powerful chip with 64-bit desktop-class architecture. Projects, presentations, and apps look beautiful on the Retina® display. The advanced camera is perfect for capturing photos and video for projects, and the front-facing FaceTime® HD camera lets you collaborate with others around the world.
iOS is designed to help you get the most out of iPad. Websites open instantly. Videos load quickly. And apps run smoothly. iPad includes a suite of Apple-designed apps for creativity and productivity for things you do every day, like editing movies and photos, writing reports, and managing assignments. The App Store® has thousands of apps designed specially for education. And with the iTunes U® app, you can discover the world’s largest library of free educational content.
Required and Recommended System Buys
Service and support from the people who know your Apple products best.
Most Apple hardware comes with a one-year limited warranty and up to 90 days of complimentary telephone technical support. Extend your coverage with the AppleCare® Protection Plan or AppleCare+. Only AppleCare products give you one-stop service and support from Apple experts, so most issues can be resolved in a single call.
For help, contact the help desk or visit Apple.com.
Computer Science Minor
If you are taking courses in the Computer Science Minor, we recommend an Apple laptop with a minimum of 8 GB of memory and a solid state drive (SSD).
Please check with your department or advisor to find out about recommended systems for other programs.
TM and © 2018 Apple Inc. All rights reserved. *Battery life varies by use and configuration. See www.apple.com/batteries for more information.
Search online for retailers offering discounts for college students.
Working in education and continuing with your education has its benefits.
- Create an education account to download AutoDesk software.
- Access a free online version of Microsoft Office online.
- Access discount student versions of Microsoft Office.
- Office 365 Home, $10/month subscription; Office 365 University, $80 for four-year subscription, can be installed on two computers.
Adobe Creative Cloud for Students
- Access student discounts on Adobe products.
We strongly recommend running Anti-Virus software on all computers. Apple computers are not immune to attacks, either. Some good places to start are:
- Sophos Anti-Virus Home: free
- Symantec Anti-Virus
Discounts for both faculty and students
If you are a Dominican employee and have AT&T wireless service, you are eligible for a 14 percent employee discount. Please go to AT&T to learn more.
If you are a Dominican student and currently have AT&T wireless service, you are eligible for a seven percent student discount. Please go to AT&T to learn more.