Academic Advising Services

Your academic advisor is a faculty or staff member within your major department, or an academic advisor in the Student Success Center, who will guide you each semester for projected coursework as well as develop a degree plan.


How do I get started?

  • Refer to the University Catalog to learn about your general education (CORE) and major requirements. 

  • Make and keep your advising appointment. 

  • Prepare a tentative schedule to bring to your advising appointment. 

  • Contact your advisor by phone, e-mail, or appointment for questions about your major (and minor) requirements, or referrals to other services you may need.


Review the advisor list to find out who your academic advisor is.

How often will I be meeting with my Advisor?

That's up to you. We encourage you to meet with your advisor whenever you have concerns about your academic progress. Most students meet with their academic advisor at least once each term to discuss course selection prior to registration for the next term.
Scheduling this meeting in time to participate in priority registration will maximize your course selection options. 


Will my Advisor contact me to make appointments, or is that up to me?

Many advisors reach out to students with information about how and when to meet with them, but generally, you are advised to contact an advisor directly to set up an appointment.

What can I do to prepare myself for an Advising Appointment?


Under what circumstances should I get in touch with my Advisor?

If you want to make a change in your semester schedule or degree plan, check in with your advisor first so we can ensure you stay on track for graduation. It's also a good idea to contact your advisor immediately if you are aware of any issues affecting your academic performance. Your advisor can help identify options to address the situation.

Thinking of changing your Major or declaring your Major?

If you want to change your major, consult with your current academic advisor as well as the advisor for the new program. You may also meet with the Undeclared Advisor, Christina Mayes, for additional guidance and support. Current Undeclared Majors can also meet with Mrs. Mayes or the new advisor for your selected program. You may also choose to be Undeclared while you are exploring your options.

To complete the process of a change of major, minor, or concentration, you must complete the Declaration of Major-Minor Form and submit it to the Office of the Registrar.


What if I'm an Adult Degree Completion Program student?

If you are an adult considering the Adult Degree Completion Program, we encourage you to meet with an academic advisor. The optimum time to arrange this is when you have unofficial transcripts for Admissions, or your official transcripts have arrived directly from your previous colleges. The advisor will prepare, without fee or obligation, a Preliminary Degree Plan. Reviewing this plan with your advisor will give you a good idea how your previous coursework will count toward your degree and offer options for completing the remaining requirements.

When you have been admitted to the Adult Degree Completion Program, your advisor will help you select your first term courses and provide the information and guidance you need to get started in your degree completion program. In your second term, you will begin working with a faculty advisor in the department of your intended major. Before each new term, you will have the opportunity to meet with your advisor to review your progress and select the courses and experiential learning that will advance your degree plan.