Frequently Asked Questions

We’ve compiled a list of frequently asked questions to assist you with registering for classes and for all other University business conducted with the Office of the Registrar.

Registration FAQs

No. You must register online through Self-Service. Use the email you received from your advisor as a guide and reminder of what you discussed during your advising session.

No, however, you must register during the Open Registration Period. Once you create a schedule of courses you can log back in to Self-Service and add/drop classes up until 11:59 p.m. the day before the term begins.

Login to Self-Service and use the “keywords” search field. Choose the appropriate notation from the list and enter the code. (Don’t forget to include a colon.) For example, to locate “Adult Degree Completion (ADC)” courses, enter “ADC:” The search results will list all the courses with specified notation.

For example:

  • OL:  Online courses
  • HY:  Hybrid courses
  • ADC:  Adult Degree Completion courses
  • SL:  Service Learning courses
  • STA:  Study Abroad

You can request permission by clicking on the permission request box and following the instructions. Please note — you must obtain an Independent Contract form, the necessary signature(s) and then register through the Registrar’s Office. Registration for these classes can not completed online.

For more information see: Independent Learning Contract.

Not a problem. Simply login to Self-Service and "remove" the course from your schedule. Be sure to "finalize" the process.

No. The shopping cart is merely a place to keep the courses you are interested in. You must "proceed to registration", "finalize" the process and then receive confirmation of registration message.

The Registrar’s Office will manage the waitlist. If a seat becomes available and you are placed in the class, you will see this in your "schedule" online in Self-Service. All waitlists are terminated the Friday before the term begins.  

Guide to Online Messages

This means that your registration period has not started yet or you have not been electronically advised by your Advisor. Please login in again after your registration period opens.

For more information see Online Registration. 

This means you are not part of an eligible online registration group (i.e., Non-Degree)

Please contact Business Services. You cannot register until you account has a zero balance and the hold is removed.

You are missing a transcript and cannot register until the transcript is received and hold is removed. Contact the Registrar’s Office if you need more information on the specific missing transcript.

Find complete instructions on how to submit your transcripts to Dominican here.

You must register for both classes at the same time (i.e., register for both Lecture and Lab).

Many courses will be available for registration by permission only. It is recommended that students obtain permission through the online process prior to priority registration. It this is not possible, complete registration for all non-permission needed courses first. Then add all permission required courses to your cart. Permission request will hold up registration until approved or denied.

Once you have selected the “Add” button next to a course, a pop-up box will appear. If the course requires permission, a "Request Permission" box will appear. Select this option and following the prompts. (Note: You must enter a comment.) You will receive notification of permission or denial via your Dominican email. You can also check your status in Self-Service.

Once permission has been granted, this does not mean that you are registered. You must login to Self-Service and complete the registration process. The course will be in your cart.

“Unofficial Transcript”

You now have access you view your unofficial transcript. You may use this tool to monitor courses you have completed and grades received.

NOTE: You have access to the Dominican University Catalog online, including all your degree requirements, as well as to your academic record (unofficial transcript). These are tools to use if your academic plan in unavailable or incomplete.

Transfer Credit Policy FAQs

Transfer credit policies for prospective students, students new to Dominican, or currently enrolled students are found in the Academic Catalog.

Three guiding principles inform Dominican’s policies on transfer credit:

  1. Educational quality;
  2. Comparability of the nature, content, and level of credit earned; and
  3. Appropriateness and applicability of the credit earned in light of the student’s educational goals.

Educational quality is ensured at least partially by the requirement that transferred credit must be from accredited institutions.

Comparability of the nature, content, and level of credit earned is ensured by thorough research into the content of each transferable course, by careful articulation of general education (and certain major program) coursework at our “feeder” schools, and by ongoing consultation with Dominican faculty.

Appropriateness and applicability of the credit earned in light of the student’s educational goals is ensured by close consultation and coordination with Dominican General Education Committee, the Academic Advising & Support Center, and Program Chairpersons.

Full disclosure about the transferability and applicability of coursework from other institutions is provided to all transfer students as part of the admission process, prior to matriculation. Written notification about the applicability of transfer credit to the Dominican CORE requirements is sent to the prospective student and the Dominican academic advisor via the Transfer Course Evaluation (TCE) form and the automated degree audit system. Transferability of required courses in the major program is determined by the faculty of the appropriate academic discipline.

Academic credit is granted for many types of ACE-approved extra-institutional learning, as outlined in the Prior Learning Policy in the Dominican catalog.

Academic credit may also be granted after matriculation for Experiential Learning, via the Reflective Writing and portfolio process, which follows the guidelines set out by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).

Credit for experiential learning:

  • is offered only at the undergraduate level
  • is limited to a maximum of 45 semester credits
  • is posted to the record only after matriculation and the completion of at least 30 semester credits of academic work at Dominican
  • requires written documentation in a prescribed format that is reviewed by a qualified faculty member in the appropriate discipline
  • does not duplicate credit for prior or anticipated coursework
  • is determined by the faculty member based on the quality and scope of the essay(s), not by the amount paid in fees.

Academic Plan FAQs

Login to Self-Service. Select the “Register” tab and select “Academic Plan”. Once on the Academic Plan page, select your displayed degree and major (i.e. BA/Business Admin).

Your Academic Plan shows how your courses meet General Education, major, concentration, and/or minor requirements. Your transcript shows which classes you’ve taken per semester but does not give any advice on how the courses meet General Education or degree requirements.

It is extremely important that the Registrar’s Office has accurate and current information about your major, minor, concentration, and type of degree you’re pursuing (BA, BS, BFA, etc.). To change your major, minor, or concentration, please complete a Declaration of Major or Minor form (with all required signatures) and return to the Registrar’s Office (Bertrand Hall, Room 108).

Please note — Your advisor’s signature is required for every change, except dropping a major, minor or concentration.

You and your advisor complete and sign a Substitution in CORE or Major form. In addition, the Dean’s signature is required for major and minor substitutions. For CORE substitutions, the Director of General Education's signature is also required.

If your substitution is approved by your advisor and Dean (or Dean of General Education) the Registrar’s Office will enter the substitution information into Academic Plan. If your substitution is denied by the Dean or General Education Director, the Registrar’s Office will notify both you and your advisor via email.

Login to Self-Service. On the left margin use the drop down box located under “View.” Select “My Progress” then select your degree and major. You may also want to look at the “Summary Version” to see a quick overview of your degree progress. 

This section shows courses that are either in progress, or that you have completed that have not been counted towards your degree progress. As a default, repeatable courses sometimes fall into this section. If you feel that a course is placed in this section in error, please contact your advisor.

Some students may not have a plan assigned. This could be because your major requires special consideration. Please contact your advisor if you believe you should have a plan, but do not see one available.