Dominican collaborates with Epicurean Group (a Northern California-based woman- and minority-owned company committed to social and environmental responsibility) to create a food service program that appeals to our diverse student population.
Healthy and Sustainable Food Options
Epicurean Group prepares quality meals from seasonal and organic ingredients — most of which are procured within a 150-mile radius of the University. The company’s artisan approach and sustainable practices support local farms and ranches, and follow the sustainable seafood model of the Monterey Bay Aquarium. Talented chefs take great pride in their work, which connects diners to the natural cycle of food and its production.
Food Venues and Dining Options
There are two options for campus dining:
This is the main dining hall for resident student meals, open to all members of the campus and community. Resident students on the meal plan receive their meals at Caleruega.
Located next door to Caleruega Dining Hall, Chilly’s Cafe provides cafe-style meals, snacks, coffee and refreshments.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you have a question not answered here, please contact us here.
Summer dining is open from June 11 through breakfast on July 29. There will be no dining services from July 30 through August 15 and no breakfast or lunch on Monday, July 3. Chilly's Cafe will remain closed all summer.
The summer drop-in dining rate is $20 per meal.
Caleruega Dining Hall Summer Dining Hours:
- Monday to Friday:
Breakfast 7:30 – 9:30 a.m.
Lunch 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
Dinner 4:30 – 6:30 p.m.
Brunch 10:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
Dinner 4:30 – 6:30 p.m.
Caleruega Dining Hall Fall Dining Hours:
- Breakfast, Monday-Friday: 7:30 – 9:30 a.m.
- Lunch, Monday-Friday: 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
- Dinner, Monday-Thursday: 4:30 – 7 p.m.
- Dinner, Friday to Sunday and Holidays: 4:30 – 6:30 p.m.
- Brunch, Saturday and Sunday: 10:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
Chilly's Café Fall Dining Hours:
7:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
8 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Please note — hours may change due to holidays, summer and campus closures.
Epicurean Group prepares 19 meals per week from which resident students may choose a 19, 14, or 10 meal plan. Guests and commuter students also may pay for individual meals at the door or purchase a meal card.
- 19 meals per week
- 14 meals per week (most popular)
- 10 meals per week
Of course! We will work with you to design a menu that meets your needs. Please contact us for more information.
The following are the many ways we create a sustainable menu:
- Food is purchased locally and organic when possible.
- Local growers and artisan partners are chosen for their high quality standards, environmental responsibility and locations — all within 150 miles of our restaurants.
- Menus are developed according to the season, featuring local food.
- Chicken is purchased free-range and antibiotic-free.
- Tuna is purchased dolphin-free.
- 100% of seafood is purchased according to the Monterey Bay Aquarium “Seafood Watch Guidelines”.
- Hamburger is made with fresh ground, grass-fed or Niman Ranch beef.
- Eggs are sourced cage-free.
- Fruits and vegetables are purchased fresh, seasonal and whenever possible organic according to the Clean Fifteen and Dirty Dozen recommendations.
- Stock are made from scratch – never out of a can.
- Milk is free of antibiotics and artificial growth hormone.
- MSG is never used in our food preparation.
- All dressings are prepared in house
- Turkey and beef are roasted in house for deli meat selections.
- Only rice bran and olive oil are used for cooking.
- Mashed potatoes are prepared from real potatoes.