Learn the main theoretical approaches, principles, and methods of sport and performance psychology with a Certificate in Sport and Performance Psychology. This graduate certificate program is also ideal for those who want to further their education and expertise in mental skills training and/or are working towards their Certified Mental Performance Consultant (CMPC) certification through the Association of Applied Sport Psychology (AASP). Choose from on-campus, online, or hybrid program options.
- Choose from on-campus, online, or hybrid certificate courses.
- Our online learning environment is a combination of some real-time classes with our master's students and some coursework on your own schedule.
- Shadowing experiences with practitioners working with performers.
- Attend Performance Masterclasses with renowned practitioners.
- Learn online in a combination of real-time classes with our master's students and some coursework on your own schedule.
- Learn from highly skilled, internationally recognized sport and performance psychology faculty.
- Applied supervised field experiences can be added to the Certificate.
I was able to establish and cultivate my why in this program.
- Candice L.
For Professional Psychologists or Therapists Who Want to Work with Performers
This Certificate Program is perfect for qualified psychologists or therapists working towards their Certified Mental Performance Consultant (CMPC) certification through the Association of Applied Sport Psychology (AASP).
Coaches and Athletic Trainers Who Want an Introduction to Sport and Performance Psychology
This Certificate in Sport and Performance Psychology acts as an introduction to the field which can enhance your work as a coach or a trainer. Your Certificate courses also count toward a Master of Arts in Applied Sport and Performance Psychology.
Contact the Applied Sport and Performance Psychology program at firstname.lastname@example.org with any further questions.
Admissions and Aid
A Bachelor’s degree or its equivalent from a regionally accredited institution is required to apply to our program. Other requirements include:
- A Completed Application — Apply now!
- Official Transcript(s)
Official transcript of coursework from each college or university attended (undergraduate and graduate). Find complete instructions on how to submit your transcripts to Dominican here.
- GPA of 3.0
A GPA of 3.0 is required for the last 60 units of graded undergraduate or graduate coursework. Consideration will be given to applicants with a GPA below 3.0 upon the discretion of the Department Chair.
- Statement of Purpose or Intent
A brief essay (minimum 500 words, 2 pages maximum) describing professional and/or personal goals for obtaining a certificate.
- Cover any relevant performance background you have had.
- Why do you wish to be considered as an applicant to the Applied Sport and Performance Psychology Program?
- Why do you wish to become a Dominican University of California student (if you’re already a DUC student then please state how the values of the university have influenced your choice to stay here)?
- If you had challenges in your undergraduate studies, please address those.
- What do you hope to do with this degree or certificate?
- Personal Interview
Interview with Department Chair or Assistant Director.
- International Applicants
International candidates must meet additional admissions requirements.
If an application deadline falls on a weekend and/or holiday, applications will be accepted through the end of the next business day.
* Applications are reviewed and admission decisions are made on an ongoing basis until the class is filled.
Learn about tuition per unit, additional fees and total tuition.
We'll also show you how a Dominican education is more affordable than you might think with support from financial aid and loans.
|Tuition Rate Per Unit
|Number of Units
|Fall: August 15
Spring: December 15
|On-campus, online, or hybrid with residency and placements
The Sport and Performance Psychology certificate program educates and trains students to become ethical, professional, and culturally competent practitioners who work with performers in a variety of domains. Our program is grounded in the theory and research of sport and performance psychology and offers training for practitioners to apply this education in the field. The program is committed to supporting both the professional and personal growth of students to become practitioners and leaders of Sport and Performance Psychology who integrate the art and science of mental skills training.
Individuals will learn the theory and research of sport and performance psychology and have chances to apply their knowledge to real situations. Internationally-recognized sport and performance psychology faculty teach the courses, so students receive a high-quality education from professors with years of experience. During the process of completing this certificate, students can continually apply their new knowledge to studying for the CMPC certification exam.
You can choose between online, on-campus or hybrid courses. Each option can be personalized thanks to the small class sizes at Dominican, so you will have the chance to build strong relationships with faculty and peers.
- Introduction to Sport and Performance Psychology (3 units)
- Applied Mental Skills Training (3 units)
- Motor Learning and Control (3 units)
- Group Dynamics (1 unit)
- Choose between
- Advanced Mental Skills Training (3 units) or
- Diversity in Sport and Performance Psychology (3 units)
Certificate students may choose to add Applied Performance Placements to their Certificate program, should they be interested in applied sport and performance psychology work, or in order to align with the Association for Applied Sport Psychology (AASP) and their Certified Mental Performance Consultant credentialing. In order to add the placements to the Certificate, students must register for a minimum of two applied performance placement experiences (ASPP 5231, ASPP 5232 and/or ASPP 5233).
Do you want to obtain a CMPC certification through the Association for Applied Sport Psychology (AASP)? If so, completing the Sport and Performance Psychology certificate program can help. Once you’re certified, you can help clients optimize cognitive performance for personal development or enjoyment in physically active industries like the military, sports or performing arts.
Having a CMPC certification ensures you meet the highest standards of professional practice, including completing education and work requirements, passing their exam, and agreeing to follow ethical principles and standards. When qualified psychologists and therapists complete the Certificate in Sport and Performance Psychology, they would have many of the course requirements that align with the requirements of the CMPC certification. Supervised field experience hours can also be added to the Certificate.