Additional International Admissions Requirements

The documents below are not part of the admission review process and are not required until you are admitted into the program. If you are applying as an F-1 student then you are required to submit the following documents only after you are admitted in order to request a Form I-20.

Required Before Admission

Foreign transcript(s) must be translated into English and mailed directly from the institution. Scanned or emailed transcripts are not acceptable. Degrees or academic coursework completed outside the United States must be verified and evaluated for academic degree equivalence.

Find complete instructions on how to submit your transcripts to Dominican here.

All international applicants must have earned a degree or diploma that is equivalent to a U.S. Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution.

An original Course-by-Course Credential Evaluation report is required to demonstrate United States equivalency for academic credentials earned in another country.

A Course-by-Course Credential Evaluation may be provided by any of the following:

Graduate students with a three-year degree from India must use World Education Services (WES). Dominican will accept a three-year degree from India that has been recognized by WES.

International students from countries where English is not an official language must demonstrate English proficiency. Proficiency tests and ELS 112 must be completed within the past two years.

This is not required if you went to school in a country where English is an official language according to Languages - The World Factbook (

Proficiency can be demonstrated with one of the following:

  • SAT: 1140 Combined Math and Evidence-Based Reading (minimum Reading score of 25) and Writing (M + ERW).
  • ACT: 20 Composite
  • TOEFL Score: 550 Paper, 213 Computer, or 80 IBT (Learn about TOEFL)
  • IELTS Score: 6.5 (Learn about IELTS)
  • PTEA Score: 53 (Learn about PTEA Academic)
  • Duolingo English Test: 105 (Learn about Duolingo)
  • An official transcript demonstrating that the applicant completed one academic year in the U.S. school system. (Does not apply to graduate applicants.) 
  • Completed Level 112 Intensive Program English for Academic Purposes (EAP) at an ELS Language Center.
  • Successful completion of 24 transferable semester units or 36 transferable quarter units at an English-speaking institution.

Conditional Admission: Students who have met the University’s academic requirements, but have not yet satisfied the English requirement, may apply for “conditional admission” based upon eventual completion of the required ELS Language Centers level.

Required After Admission

All F-1 (student visa) international students are required by the U.S. government to submit a Certification of Finance (COF) to their university. The COF is evidence that a student has sufficient funds to pay for tuition and living expenses for their first year of studies. Please review the International Admissions Financial Requirement for more details, including program-specific funding requirements. The estimated cost of attendance varies depending on the program, visit our Total Cost of Attendance page for more information. 

If the bank statement is not in the student's name, the account holder must submit an Affidavit of Financial Support.

Bank Statement

A bank statement or letter issued by the bank with the account holder’s name, currency type and account type in English should be provided. The document must be:

  • Dated within 6 months of the program start date.
  • Show the minimum (or more) funding required by your graduate program for the first year of studies. See minimum requirements below.
  • Indicate a valid account type.
    Valid account types include the following:
    • checking accounts
    • savings accounts 
    • time deposits
    • certificates of deposit (CDs) 
    • money market accounts

*Please note:Cash in investment accounts funds in stocks/investments, bonds, lines of credit, real property or statements of income are not accepted. 


Scholarship letters are also accepted from governments and organizations. The letter must be in English and indicate the amount of funds awarded.

Affidavit of Financial Support 

If you have a sponsor, they must provide the signed Affidavit of Financial Support for you to submit. Their name and signature on the Affidavit of Support needs to be in English characters with the date. The affidavit must be signed by the account holder. If the account holder and account are based in the US, the document must be notarized. When the account holder and account are based in another county, the affidavit must be signed by the bank. If multiple accounts or different banks are being used, a separate affidavit is required for each account. 


If you plan to bring dependents with you who will need an F-2 visa, please provide additional proof of funding to cover their expenses. If you were awarded a scholarship that includes funding for your dependents, please have them listed on the scholarship letter.

For a 9-month program, please add an additional $4,500 per dependent adult, and for a 12-month program, please include an additional $6,000 per dependent adult. Child dependents require an additional $400 for each month of the first year of your studies. 

Required Minimum Amounts

Below are the current estimates for the first academic year of Graduate programs (12 months) at Dominican:

  • PhD in Art Therapy: $44,468
  • Master of Arts in Art Therapy: $42,083
  • Master of Business Administration: $68,777
  • Master of Science in Business Analytics: $64,781
  • Master of Science in Biological Science: $44,901
  • Master of Science in Counseling Psychology: $46,341
  • Master of Science in Education: $37,071
  • Master of Arts in Applied Sport and Performance Psychology: $50,899

All international students must submit a photocopy of the photo page of their current passport.


If you plan to bring dependents with you, you must provide a photocopy of the photo page of each dependent’s current passport. For each dependent, you must also provide proof of relationship in the form of a marriage license for a spouse or a birth certificate for children. Birth certificates and marriage licenses do not need to be translated into English.

Once your application is complete, we will notify you of the admissions decision as soon as possible. A tuition deposit is required after you are admitted in order to confirm your attendance and to receive Form I-20.