President Marcy Featured on Future U Podcast
President Mary B. Marcy talks with Future U presenters Jeff Selingo and Michael Horn about her new book, The Small College Imperative, and how small colleges such as Dominican University of California are launching innovative programming focused on student success.
The Future U podcast is presented by Jeff Selingo and Michael Horn. Selingo, a contributor to The Atlantic and the Washington Post, has written about higher education for two decades. Horn is a senior partner at Entangled Solutions.
As host Selingo notes, Dominican has “made some moves that have caught a lot of eyes around the country.”
President Marcy discusses Dominican’s work creating its transformative signature program, The Dominican Experience, as well as the University’s new partnerships with computer science academy Make School and the State of California through the new Civic Action Fellowship.
The Small College Imperative examines work underway at 10 very different small colleges across the United States. The book also explores the growing role of partnerships and consortia as a way to improve access and support for students. This innovation comes in the face of growing outside pressures, including changing student demographics, shifts in the market demand for traditional liberal arts programs, and the expanding use of technology in higher education.
Related News Coverage:
- Chronicle of Higher Education: What Happens When Women Run Colleges.
- Chronicle of Higher Education: Five paths for Small Colleges.
- Chronicle of Higher Education: Colleges Need to Rethink Their Market.
- EdSurge: New Book Suggests Big Changes for Small Colleges.
- Education Dive: Don’t Sound the Death Knell for Small Liberal Arts Colleges.
- Education Dive: How a College and Coding School are Partnering to Bring New Courses to Campus.
- Education Dive: Seven College Presidents Share their Biggest Challenges for 2020.
- Education Dive: Do Universities Need to Go National to Stay Relevant?
- Inside Higher Ed: Getting Students to Give Back.
- Inside Higher Ed: Survival of the Proactive.
- San Francisco Business Times: Announcing the Make School/Dominican Partnership.
- Times Higher Education: Recruiting Slump Bumps US Private Colleges Market Shakeout.
- Voice of America: Education Expert Lynn Pasquerella Extols Value of Liberal Arts Education.
- Wall Street Journal: College and Coding Boot Camp Find a Way to Team Up.
- Washington Post: Can Tech and Humanities Exist Side by Side? Can They Afford not to?
- WGBH: As Small Private Colleges Keep Closing Some are Fighting Back.