- Ruth Ramsey
Ruth Ramsey, EdD, OTR/L
Dean Ramsey was hired as the founding director and chair for the Department of Occupational Therapy in 1996. She led the program through three successful national accreditation cycles and transitioned it from an undergraduate to a graduate program. She was responsible for curriculum design and development, hiring and supervising all faculty and staff, managing the budget, and developing policies and procedures to assure the effective operation of the department. She established effective working relationships with community partners in Marin County, served on many community boards, and integrated community engagement activities into the OT curriculum at a variety of community sites and agencies.
Dean Ramsey was appointed Dean of Health and Natural Sciences in 2017. As Dean, she provides academic and administrative leadership to the Departments of Nursing, Counseling Psychology, Global Public Health, Occupational Therapy, Physician Assistant Studies, and Natural Sciences and Mathematics.
University of San Francisco, Doctor of Education, Learning, and Instruction
San Jose State University, Master of Science, Occupational Therapy
University of California, Los Angeles, Master of Arts, Dance
San Francisco State University, Bachelor of Arts, Dance/ Physical Education
Healthy aging, community-based healthcare, and health professions education.
Honors and Awards
- Dominican University of California Doctoral Development Grant, 2002-2006. $20,000.00
- American Occupational Therapy Association Commendation for Service: Commission on Practice: 2005
- California Foundation for Occupational Therapy North Coast Medical Post-Professional OTR Graduate Fellowship, 2003: $2,500.00
- Dominican University of California Faculty Sabbatical Award Recipient, 2005-2006 Academic Year: $50,000
- Dominican University of California Professional Presentation Award: 2007. $500.
- Dominican University of California Strategic Initiative Grant: 2011: $9300 to support a feasibility study on the establishment of a “ Center for Healthy Aging” at Dominican University.
- Dominican University of California Strategic Initiative Grant: 2011. $34,000 to support study abroad travel course for occupational therapy and nursing faculty and students to Sweden in May and June 2012.
- 2016: Mellon Grant: $400.00 for course redesign to focus on “Democracy and Equity in Healthcare” in the OT graduate course.
- 2016 Lifetime Achievement Award, Occupational Therapy Association of California, “for exemplary service to the profession of occupational therapy over 30 years”.