- Lisa D. Hinz
Lisa D. Hinz, PhD, ATR-BC
Lisa started her career as a clinical psychologist, but after serving as the onsite supervisor for an art therapy master’s student at the University of Louisville Counseling Center, she fell in love with a new profession.
Lisa earned a post-graduate certificate in art therapy from the University of Louisville in 1992 where she had the privilege and pleasure of working with Drs. Vija Lusebrink and Sandra (Kagin) Graves-Alcorn, the founders of the Expressive Therapies Continuum (ETC), which explains the many and varied therapeutic uses of art in therapy.
Lisa has been teaching about ETC for the past 23 years and deeply appreciates its role as a foundational theory in the field of art therapy. Lisa wrote a book on the subject, which is now in its second edition, Expressive Therapies Continuum: A Framework for Using Art in Therapy.
Louisiana State University, PhD
Wake Forest University, MA
The College of William and Mary, BA
University of Louisville, Post-Master's Certificate, Art Therapy
- Expressive Therapies Continuum
- Effects of art medium and process on therapeutic outcomes
- Art therapy outcome studies
- Ethical considerations in art therapy
- Effects of art therapy on eating issues and substance use
Honors and Awards
- Pallette Award from the American Art Therapy Association for distinguished contributions to the field
- Phi Beta Kappa Pen
- Guzman Gazebo, Room B