Dominican’s Declaration on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Dominican University of California declares its commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion through enjoining the campus community to uphold and further a shared vision of “unity in diversity.”
Our heritage is informed by a commitment to pluralism, defined by our understanding that our community draws strength from our differences. Dominican seeks to nurture attitudes and behaviors that promote global awareness, inclusive sensibilities, and respect for individuals’ diverse experiences and identities, across such categories as race, ethnicity, language, gender, sex, sexuality, age, socioeconomic status, religion, and/or ability.
Consistent with the above declaration and Dominican values, the University exhorts every member of the community to support and express their active commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion using the guiding principles stated below:
- All members of the University community are collectively responsible for enabling and institutionalizing diversity, equity, and inclusion throughout the University.
- All members of the University community should consider diversity, equity, and inclusion constructively in all planning, policy, decision-making, procedural, academic, and administrative operations throughout the University.
- All members of the University community should refuse to accept any behavior or action that is diversity-intolerant, exclusionary, insensitive, and/or discriminatory.
- All members of the University community should promote a campus environment that continuously works for greater equity through leveling access of opportunity for all of its participants, irrespective of experience and identity, which includes but is not limited to the categories listed above.
Diversity in Action
The Diversity Action Group (DAG) is a standing committee of faculty, staff, administration, and students charged with the mission of advocating for, and creating a diversity sensitive institutional environment at Dominican for all stakeholders. To join, please email one of our committee co-chairs.
- Theresa Arocena, Student Representative
- Kati Bell, Global Education
- Gabriela Bermudez, Student Life
- Adam Carl, Administrative Coordinator, LAE
- Santos Carter, Financial Aid
- Aaron Clark, Student Life
- Andrea Coughlan, Business
- Sophia De Quattro, Advancement
- Jessica Frazier, Student Life
- Vanessa Gropetti, Student Representative
- Bettina Lee, ADSO
- Sarah Lee, Business
- Katherine Lewis, Education
- Jaime Libby, Academic Affairs
- Jannel Mariano, Liberal Arts and Education
- Christina Mayes, Advising
- Karen McCarthy, Occupational Therapy
- Nicola Pitchford, Academic Affairs
- Robert Pope, Nursing
- Diara Spain, Natural Science and Mathematics
- Kenneth Waters, Student Veteran Representative
- Giulia Welch, Global Education
- Shanice Whittaker, Human Resources
The Melba Beals Awards for Excellence in Diversity have historically recognized current students, faculty, and staff who have actively engaged with others in advancing diversity and inclusion in our community. We are currently reconfiguring these awards as grants to encourage individuals and groups on campus to continue this important work. Please check back soon for more info.
Emanuel Cifuentes Machado (student)
Noreen Hasan (student) and the SDAC (Student Diversity Action Committee)
Kylie Timmerman (student)
Olivia Catolico, Nursing (faculty)
Casey Halcro, Human Resources (staff)
Jennessica Holliday (student)
LeeAnn Bartolini (faculty)