- News Archive
- Outstanding Student
Jake Quast’s journey through Dominican featured a semester abroad experience at Oxford University and a thrilling finish at the Pacific West Conference golf tournament in Arizona leading to a full-time job in Houston as an Associate Consultant with alliantgroup, the nation’s premier provider of specialty tax services.
“I am thankful for Dominican University, and the Barowsky School of Business for giving me the opportunity to earn a college degree,” said Jake, now a Senior Consultant for EPSA USA in Houston who was named the Class of 2019’s Outstanding Student at Commencement. “My past four years were filled with friendships, memories, and experiences that I will never forget and I am beyond thankful for everyone who has helped me get to this point in my life.”
A Business Marketing major, who minored in pre-law, Jake came from Oregon to Dominican to play golf, drawn by the prospect of scoring internships and job opportunities.
“When I looked at students’ graduating GPA and read about what they were doing once they graduated, I was impressed,” said Jake, who started work on a client’s relations team at alliantgroup in June of 2019. “Dominican blew me away from what I expected a college to be and provide.”
As a freshman, Jake helped lead the Penguins Men’s Golf team to NCAA DII National Ranking of 27th in the nation – the highest in school history. They competed in the NCAA Super Regional in New Mexico State Golf Course in Las Cruces.
By his junior year, Jake was the recipient of a Thomas and Joanne Peterson Endowed Scholarship for Dominican Scholars at Oxford. At Oxford, he studied criminal law before returning to BSB.
“Coming out of Dominican’s business program they give you all the resources you need to be successful,” says Jake, who in July 2019 was named PacWest Men's Golf Scholar Athlete of the Year. “They bring in professionals to the Exploring the World of Business class every Thursday to talk about career placement, resumes, cover letters, and everything else you need to be successful in the business world.”
During the spring on 2019, while preparing for his final season with the Dominican golf team, Jake was also interviewing with alliantgroup. He had four interviews before the company flew him to Houston.
“The internships, competing on the golf course, and different interview processes while at Dominican has given me the confidence to go into the business world as a young professional,” says Jake, who later joined Goosehead Insurance. “I am confident that I am prepared to be able to accomplish my career goals because of the experiences I have gained here.”
WHAT DID YOU LIKE BEST ABOUT DU?
• Defining moment at Dominican/or memory that will stay with you forever: “When our men’s golf team won its first tournament in program history in 2018. Watching Ty Macias get his first individual win, and watching my coach get his first team win was an incredible experience.”
• Most inspiring professor: “Dr. Leeds and his dedication to the students’ success and his hard working attitude has inspired me to be the best student, and person I can be.”
• Best place to study on campus: “The library because it has a great computer lab that I can focus in.
• Best place to eat off campus: “Thai Smile, because the owner is so sweet, and their yellow curry is unbelievable.”
• Best place to hang out in Marin: “Marin Headlands has a view of Golden Gate Bridge is gorgeous, and it is a perfect place to see the sunrise.”
• Favorite way to spend a weekend in or near Marin: “Hanging out with my teammates on the golf course. The weather in Marin allows us to play golf year around, and there is no better weekend than on the golf course.”
• Advice to a new student: “Work as hard as you can, and to get as many internships as possible. Building your resume is the most important part of college, and it makes a huge difference when applying for that first job.”
The Dominican Experience
The Dominican Experience allows you to work with a coach, complete a signature work, build a digital portfolio and engage with the community. What will your experience look like?