Maintaining Your Student Status

In order to maintain their international student status, all international students who have the F-1 visa status must strictly follow immigration regulations outlined by the U.S. government. The following set of rules and regulations is a guide to properly maintaining international student status at Dominican University of California.

Full Course of Study

International students must be registered for a full course of study during fall and spring semesters:

  • Undergraduate students must take a minimum of 12 units
  • Masters graduate students must take a minimum of 9 units

Online Courses: Only 3 units or one online course per semester is applicable to the full-time enrollment total of units.

Audit Courses:  Audit course units are not applicable to the full-time enrollment total.

Please Note: International students are not required to enroll in courses during summer semesters.

On-Campus Employment

On-campus employment is limited to 20 hours a week when school is in session during fall and spring semesters and 40 hours a week during University vacations and summer vacation.

Freshmen should note that they are not authorized to begin on-campus employment until they begin their second semester at Dominican. International students will need to apply for Dominican International Work Study by going to the Dominican Financial Aid Office.

Off-Campus Employment

To work off-campus, international students must obtain the proper work authorization through GEO and/or U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

For F-1 students, off-campus work authorization options are:

Maintaining Valid Immigration Documents

I-20:  International students must be aware of the expiration date on their I-20 forms. If it’s not possible to complete their academic program by that date, students must request a program extension before the expiration date on the I-20.

Students who do not file for a program extension in a timely manner will be considered out of status.

Passport:  Students should keep their passport valid at all times. If the passport is scheduled to expire, student must renew it through the embassy or consulate of their home country.

Learn how to renew your passport and student visa by reading our "Travel" information.

Change of Local Address

Students who change their local address must report the change to the Global Education Office within 10 days of moving by sending email with the new information.

Grace Periods

International students have a set of grace-period regulations that are appropriate to their visa status. F-1 students who complete an academic program or OPT have a 60-day grace period.

F-1 students who have received prior authorization to withdraw from classes have 15 days to depart the United States after the withdrawal date. Students who withdraw from classes without prior authorization are not eligible for a grace period.