Anne Hathaway Cottage and Lawn

Anne Hathaway Cottage earned its name in 1935 after it was remodeled. Although unplanned, the cottage resembled the cottage in which William Shakespeare’s wife, Anne Hathaway, lived at Stratford-Upon-Avon, and the name stuck. The cottage originally served as the coach house on the estate owned by Walter Buck, a wealthy financier from San Francisco. His estate stood upon the grounds where Archbishop Alemany Library currently stands. The two-story building, beautifully engulfed in nature, houses the offices of the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute and several others.