This page includes summaries of most recent news articles that mentioned Dominican University of California. Links to the articles are included, but please note that some sites require registration or may have expired. To see the lists of articles that mentioned Dominican in the past years, visit our 2010, 2009, 2008 and 2007 Archives.
Sibling athletic rivalry at Dominican
- In a September 12 feature in the Marin Independent Journal, Special Education major Julianna Mendez follows her soccer-playing older sister and brother to Dominican as a cross country runner for the Penguins.
Lady Penguins volleyball team rising in PacWest
- In a September 4 season preview in the Marin Independent Journal, transfer student Hannah Smith joins a Dominican women's volleyball team making its way up the NCAA Division II Pacific West Conference standings.
Dominican earthquake response expert offers advice
- In an August 26 article in the Santa Rosa Press Democrat, psychology professor Dr. Matthew Davis contributes his research to tips on how to prepare for and respond to earthquakes and natural disasters.
Tri-captains lead Dominican men's soccer into challenging schedule
- In an August 24 season preview in the Marin Independent Journal, captains Erik Anderson, Dale Howard and Fabian Valdez-Mendoza aim to inspire the Penguins play on the pitch.
Seniors, fitness key to Lady Penguins' soccer season
- In an August 22 season preview in the Marin Independent Journal, Dominican women's soccer coach Tara Koleski is relying on her experienced players and improved team fitness to boost the Penguins this year.
Penguins Director of Athletics strives for success
- In an August 3 feature in the Marin Independent Journal, Brandon Leimbach's first-year anniversary as Dominican's A.D. is marked with major improvements on and off the field and court.
Dominican basketball players team with NBA All-Star
- In a July 8 feature in the Marin Independent Journal. former and current Penguins men's basketball players compete on the same team as Golden State Warriors' star Stephen Curry in the San Francisco Pro/Am Summer League.
50-year-old student delivers senior class address
- In the May 21 edition of the Novato Advance, inspirational Humanities and Cultural Studies graduate Leona George-Davidson earns the honor of delivering senior class speech at Dominican Commencement.
President Mary B. Marcy named Bay Area Influential Woman
- In the May 2 issue of the San Francisco Business Times, Dominican President Mary B. Marcy is named as one of the "Most Influential Women in Bay Area Business" for the third consecutive year.
Dominican partners with Coursera on Learning Hubs Project
- In an April 30 articles in the San Francisco Business Times and Inside Higher Education, Dominican becomes one of eight "learning hubs" -- the first in a United States university -- to expand access to its free classes in traditional brick-and-mortar learning centers.
NBC News' Education Nation hails commentary by President Marcy
- In an April 24 commentary on NBC News.com Education Nation, Dominican President Mary Marcy opines how higher education can improve equity with technology.
President Marcy returns to Nebraska for Ivy Day celebration
- In an April 19 column in the Omaha World Herald, Dominican President Mary B. Marcy, a native of Nebraska, delivers the keynote address at Ivy Day ceremonies at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.
U.S. Air Force hails goal-setting research by Dominican psychology professor
- In an April 13 blog in Air Force.mil, research by Dr. Gail Matthews. a psychology professor at Dominican, encourages servicemen and servicewomen to write down their individual goals.
Dominican political scientist lauds Girl Scouts' Ban Bossy campaign
- In an April 7 story about Facebook's Sheryl Sandberg in the San Francisco Chronicle, Alison Howard, chair of Dominican's department of Political Science and International Studies, examines Sandberg's Ban Bossy campaign.
Editorial praises Dominican leadership, growth after record gift announcement
- In an April 3 editorial in the Marin Independent Journal, Dominican's largest gift in the institution's 124-year history reflects on the leadership, growth and continued success of the University.
Dominican announces record gift, major transformation
- In March 27 articles in the San Francisco Chronicle, SFGate.com, NBC Bay Area, San Francisco Business Times and the Marin Independent Journal, Dominican President Mary Marcy announces initiatives launched by a gift – Dominican’s largest ever – from Andrew Barowsky, chair of the University’s Board of Trustees, that when fully realized will mean $25 million in new revenue to the university, initiated by $17.5 million in outright gifts led by the chairman. It will enable Dominican to launch a renewed vision of liberal arts education that will benefit all students.
Chair of Art, Art History and Design department opens watercolor exhibit
- In a March 26 story in the San Francisco Chronicle, a watercolor exhibit -- Outside the Lines -- by Lynn Sondag, chair of Dominican's Dept. of Art, Art History and Design, is recognized as a "Can't-Miss" art event in the Bay Area.
Dominican rabbi prepares for Passover
- In a March 25 column in the Santa Rosa Press Democrat, Dr. Henry Shreibman, assistant professor of Religion and Philosophy at Dominican, discusses his recognition in The Jewish Daily Forward newspaper as one of America's 36 most inspiring rabbis.
Dominican named one of the most beautiful colleges in California
- In the March issue of Collegesincalifornia.net, Dominican University of California is No. 11 on the list of the "Top 25 Most Beautiful Colleges in California.
Biology student named U.S.Bowling Congress Youth Ambassador of the Year
- In a March 21 story in Bowl.com, sophomore biology major Irene Wilson is named the 2014 United States Bowling Congress Youth Ambassador of the Year and receives a $1,500 scholarship.
Dominican research on human waste compost impacting global warming
- In a March 18 feature in the Marin Independent Journal, Dominican alumna Gabby Pecora is leading a project examining ways human waste can help stem global warming by keeping pastures fertile and healthy.
Senior lacrosse player helps create winning tradition at Dominican
- In a March 17 season preview in the Marin Independent Journal, Dalton Copeland maintains a family tradition of playing lacrosse at Dominican where its lacrosse program is now nationally ranked in NCAA Div. II.
Dominican revamps Master of Business Administration program
- In a March 10 article in the North Bay Business Journal, Sam Beldona, Dean of Dominican's School of Business, announces that the University is merging three separate programs into single MBA curriculum.
Penguins record-breaking men's basketball season comes to end
- In a March 8 game story in the Marin Independent Journal, Dominican's men's basketball team falls short in the championship game of the Pacific West Conference tournament, yet Penguins' post their best-ever record in their NCAA Division II history.
Dominican alumna aims to inspire new generation to become public servants
- In a March 7 front-page story in the San Francisco Chronicle, Juleah Cordi '10 is among participants in a "Congress to Campus" panel at Dominican moderated by President Mary Marcy geared at engaging students to get more involved in politics.
Penguins men's basketball team marches toward PacWest championship game
- In a March 7 article in the Marin Independent Journal, Dominican men's basketball coach Booker Harris and seniors Connor Haysbert and Myles Carrillio discuss the school's record-breaking season in NCAA Div. II.
Research by Dominican professor cited in "Top 10 Money Habits"
- In an MSN.com Money Life Coach story, research by Dr. Gail Matthews, professor of Psychology at Dominican, is featured as No. 5 among a list of "10 Money Habits You Should Adopt Today."
'Disney On Ice' features former Dominican dance student
- In a February 24 story in the San Francisco Examiner, Antonia Mitchell, a former student in Dominican's LINES Ballet/BFA in Dance program, talks about her first year on tour skating with "Disney On Ice."
Dominican hosts Ron Powell Tribute Night to raise funds for alum's family
- In a February 20 article in the Marin Independent Journal, all proceeds from the Penguins' basketball games on Feb. 20 are earmarked for the family of Ron Powell following his tragic death on Feb. 2
Dominican MBA graduate enjoying second season with Harlem Globetrotters
- In a February 19 feature in the San Francisco Chronicle, Tammy Brawner, who played basketball for Dominican's women's basketball team before graduating with her MBA in Global Management, talks about her second season with the Harlem Globetrotters.
First Lady's appearance in San Francisco analyzed by Dominican professor
- In a January 31 story in the San Francisco Chronicle, Dominican political science professor Alison Howard is asked to comment on Michelle Obama's fundraising trip to San Francisco.
Dominican political scientist featured in State of the Union Address coverage
Graphic arts major transitions from lacrosse player to photographer
- In a January 23 feature on KPIX-TV Channel 5 in San Francisco, Dominican senior Austin Franks explains his successful transition from Penguins star lacrosse player towards a bright future as a budding photographer
Dominican leads consortium for pilot project to develop MOOC model
- In a January 12 commentary in The Chronicle of Higher Education, Dominican is praised for leading several West Coast liberal arts colleges in developing a model that integrates high impact educational practices with MOOCs.
Humanities graduate from foster family featured in People Magazine
- In a January 9 online article in People Magazine, Marjorie Delgadillo, who earned her BA in humanities from Dominican in 2007, tells her success story of maturing from a foster child to a college graduate.
Dominican professor earns year-end recognition for Civil Rights article
- In the December issue of NYU Press, Dr. Cynthia Taylor, professor of Religion and History, is recognized in "2013 Best of the Blog" for her story on A. Philip Randolph and Bayard Rustin and the March on Washington in 1963.
Former Penguins' basketball player scores job with NBA team
- In a December 5 feature in the Marin Independent Journal, Chris DeMarco, a former men's basketball player and business major at Dominican, now serves as video coordinator for the Golden State Warriors.
Dominican professor leading advances in anti-malaria drug research
- In a December 3 front-page story in the Marin Independent Journal, Dr. Roland Cooper, associate professor of biology at Dominican, talks about his collaborative research with Dominican students and host universities.
Intriguing classes bolster Dominican's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute
- In a December 3 article in the San Rafael Patch, "Swigging, Slurping and Sipping" is one of the classes that helps contribute to the rapid growth of Dominican's adult learning OLLI program.
Senior basketball player grows with success of Dominican program
- In a November 25 season preview in the Marin Independent Journal, business administration major Myles Carrillo is praised for his perseverance in sticking with the Penguins' men's basketball team through lean years.
Dominican men's basketball team off to record-setting start
- In a November 22 game story in the Marin Independent Journal, the undefeated Penguins' men's basketball team records its fifth consecutive win to open the 2013-14 season, the best start in school history.
One-armed BFA in Dance student chronicled in ABC-TV story
- In a November 15 feature aired on KGO Channel 7 ABC-TV in San Francisco, Lani Dickinson's inspiring story of overcoming a disability to thrive in Dominican's LINES Ballet/BFA in Dance program is told.
Student Filipino club stages typhoon disaster relief fundraiser at Dominican
- In a November 14 front-page story in the Marin Independent Journal, Dominican's Kapamilya club holds a fundraiser on campus to collect donations and goods for victims of Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines.
Dominican alumnae involved in project to help Haiti
- In a November 12 story in the San Francisco Chronicle, Gabby Pecora, a Biology Academic Scholar at Dominican who graduated in 2010, is part of a human waste conversion project with the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory that is aimed to help agriculture and reforestation in Haiti.
Dominican President appears in The Hollywood Reporter
- In the November 6 issue of The Hollywood Reporter, Mary Marcy, President of Dominican University of California, talks about Ronan Farrow, new MSNBC show host who was Dominican's commencement speaker in 2012.
Dominican volleyball team steps up to support breast cancer patient
- In an October 25 story in the Santa Cruz Sentinel, Dominican's women's volleyball team and Coach Gayle Stammer are recognized for supporting her friend, Alisha Booye, who is fighting breast cancer.
LINES Ballet/BFA in Dance grad featured in San Francisco magazine
- In the October 17 issue of 7x7 Magazine, Michael Montgomery, a 2011 Dominican BFA in Dance program graduate, is recognized as a rising star in the LINES Ballet.
Fall Performances of BFA in Dance program coming to Dominican
- In an October 14 article in Broadway World, the upcoming fall performances of students in Dominican's LINES Ballet/BFA in Dance program is highlighted.
Dominican's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute receives $1 million grant
- In an October 1 article in the Marin Independent Journal, Dominican's growing OLLI program for adult education receives a second grant from the Bernard Osher Foundation in San Francisco.
Dominican faculty member shines in Bay Area dance scene
- In a September 18 feature in Berkeleyside, the "dance improvisation" career of Christian Burns, a faculty member with the LINES Ballet/BFA in Dance program at Dominican, is chronicled.
Nursing majors dominate Penguins' cross country running teams
- In a September 18 season preview in the Marin Independent Journal, Justin Valdez and Kevin So pace Dominican's cross country team, which has an abundance of men and women nursing students.
Dominican OT professor appears as guest on live radio talk show
- In a September 16 radio segment on KALW 91.7 FM in San Francisco, Dr. Julia Wilbarger, associate professor of Occupational Therapy at Dominican, talks about "Sensory Processing Disorder Inches Toward Mainstream."
Research on aggressive breast cancer cell growth at Dominican
- In a September 3 story in the San Francisco Chronicle, Dominican research examining the relationship between cadmium and the growth of breast cancer cells is featured.
New coach, captains lead Dominican men's soccer team
- In a September 3 season preview in the Marin Independent Journal, Dominican alum Phil Billeci-Gard is the new coach for the Penguins men's soccer team who is counting on defense to carry his squad.
Unique master's degree science program launched at Dominican
- In a September 2 article in the North Bay Business Journal, Dominican's new master's program in Clinical Laboratory Sciences is created and explained.
Dominican breast cancer cell research published
- In the August issue of PLOS ONE, research by Dominican Professor Dr. Maggie Louie and her students linking cadmium to breast cancer cell growth appears in a national peer-reviewed publication.
Lady Penguins have big goals for soccer season
- In an August 25 season preview in the Marin Independent Journal, Dominican's women's team, with new head coach Tara Koleski, has high hopes for the upcoming season.
Professor interviewed on eve of iconic MLK speech anniversary
- In an August 23 feature on NBC Bay Area, Cynthia Taylor, assistant professor of History and Religion, appears on TV to discuss her research focused on A. Philip Randolph on 50th anniversary of March on Washington.
Artist brings painting exhibit to Alemany Library gallery
- In an August 22 review in the San Francisco Chronicle, artist Ward Schumaker's is interviewed about his exhibit on display in the San Marco Gallery at Dominican.
Volleyball tri-captains ready for 2013 season
- In an August 21 season preview in the Marin Independent Journal, the leaders of Dominican's women's volleyball team are anxious for the start of the Penguins' season.
Leadership Lecture Series at Dominican Awaits 10th Year
- In an August 2 article in the Marin Independent Journal, the lineup for the 10th anniversary of Dominican's Institute for Leadership Studies' Fall Lecture Series is announced.
Dominican faculty member supports Pope's remarks
- In a July 31 front-page story in the San Francisco Chronicle, Cynthia Taylor, religious history scholar at Dominican, applauds Pope Francis' comment not to judge priests on the basis of their sexual orientation.
Student-athlete excels at teaching, coaching, saving goals
- In a July 31 article in the Marin Independent Journal, Megan Herring, who was No. 1 in the nation in saves percentage in NCAA Div. II women's soccer last year, helps Dominican win PacWest Academic Achievement Award.
Dominican students producing live TV of pro baseball games
- In a July 9 story in the Marin Independent Journal, the engaged-learning experience of students in Dominican's Sports Broadcast Summer Camp features hands-on production of live telecasts of San Rafael Pacifics' home games.
Dr. Sam Beldona seeks business collaboration as new Dominican dean
- In a July 1 feature in the North Bay Business Journal, Dr. Sam Beldona aims to connect Dominican with regional business community as dean of the School of Business and Leadership
Dominican names Dean for School of Business and Leadership
Venture Greenhouse graduate speaks with Wall Street Journal
- In the June 16 issue of the Wall Street Journal, Sandra Harris, a graduate of Dominican's Venture Greenhouse business incubator, discusses her experiences expanding her business nationally.
Dominican Celebrates Commencement 2013
- In a May 18 front-page story, graduate Curtis Aikens tells the Marin Independent Journal that "Dominican's core values of community service resonated with me. They vibrated in my soul."
Art Project Installed in San Rafael
- In an April 27 piece in the Marin Independent Journal, images of the installation of Dominican's INSIDE OUT art project on a U.S. Highway 101 underpass in San Rafael are shared.
Global INSIDE OUT art project at Dominican reflects local disparities
- In an April 25 Op-Ed piece in the Marin Independent Journal, Julia van der Ryn, director of the Service-Learning, and Lynn Sondag, chair of Dept. of Arts, Arts History and Design, write how project highlights educational inequality.
Dominican grad student teaches photography workshop to veterans
- In an April 22 feature on KPIX-TV CBS 5 in San Francisco, Susan Quaglietti, a MA in Humanities student, is interviewed for teaching photography and creative writing workshops to military veterans.
Research by Dominican student highlighted at national conference
- In an April 11 video segment on WKBT-TV in La Crosse, Wisconsin, Dominican student Sruthi Damodar talks about her breast cancer cells research at the National Conference of Undergraduate Research.
Penguins' men's lacrosse team wins first championship
- In an April 13 game story in the Marin Independent Journal, Dominican's men's lacrosse wins its first ever team championship as NCAA Division member with a school record-breaking performance.
Professor comments on new malaria eradication research
- In a March 29 article in The Daily Disease, Dr. Roland Cooper, a pharmacologist at Dominican, addresses ongoing and new research involving worldwide malaria prevention.
Dominican leads project aimed at educational inequality awareness
- In a March 26 front page feature in the Marin Independent Journal, Dominican students and faculty are the driving force behind an engaged-learning experience joining the Canal Alliance and mothers from Young Moms Marin.
Dominican among universities recognized nationally in USA Today
- In a March 14 story in USA Today, Dominican is commended as one of an expanding number of colleges and universities in the country meeting the challenges of higher education through summer enrollment.
MAH grad student manages photo workshop for military veterans
California Lieutenant Governor speaks at Leadership Lecture Series
- In a March 13 feature in the Marinscope Newspapers, California Lieutenant Governor and former San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom addresses a capacity crowd at Dominican's Angelico Hall.
Researchers at Dominican study coral impacted by global warming
- In a March 12 article in the Marin Independent Journal, Dr. Vania Coelho and her biology students spend their spring break caring for ocean coral from America Samoa to advance research to help save keystone species.
Men's basketball coach leads team to first Pacific West tournament
- In a March 6 feature in the Marin Independent Journal, Dominican coach Booker T. Harris talks about the revival of the Penguins' men's basketball program and its first post-season appearance in NCAA Division II competition.
Transfer student bolsters Penguins' women's tennis team
- In a February 27 season preview in the Marin Independent Journal, Emily Prescott, a business administration transfer student, helps build Dominican's improving tennis program.
Former U.S. Secretary of State speaks at Leadership Lecture Series
- In a February 22 article in the Marin Independent Journal, Madeleine Albright, the first female Secretary of State in the United States, address a capacity crowd in Angelico Hall in Dominican's Leadership Lecture Series.
LINES Ballet/BFA in Dance graduate forms new dance company
- In a February 21 feature in the Marin Independent Journal, Casey Lee Thorne, a member of Dominican's first graduating class in 2010 from its LINES Ballet/BFA in Dance program, starts a new dance troupe.
Penguins' lacrosse gaining national reputation in NCAA Division II
- In a February 21 season preview in the Marin Independent Journal, Dominican senior Tai Sing Hee and the Penguins' lacrosse team have unfinished business going into the 2013 season.
Editorial praises Dominican alum's $1 million donation to alma mater
- In a February 18 editorial in the Marin Independent Journal, Susan Gilardi '68 is commended for her $1 million donation to endow a scholarship fund dedicated to goal of assisting young women overcoming significant obstacles.
Dominican faculty, students participate in `One Billing Rising' march
- In a February 15 article in the Marin Independent Journal, Dominican observes V-Day's "One Billion Rising' event with activities, including a flash mob led by LINES Ballet/BFA in Dance students.
Former U.S. V.P. Al Gore speaks in Dominican Leadership Lecture Series
- In a February 14 front page story in the Marin Independent Journal and Marinscope's San Rafael News Pointer, Al Gore appears in from of a capacity crowd in Angelico Hall as part of Dominican's Leadership Lecture Series in cooperation with Book Passage.
Dance video by Dominican graduate becomes Internet sensation
- In a February 14 feature in the Marin Independent Journal noted by KGO-TV and KPIX-TV in San Francisco, Dominican grad Hank Rao introduces a "Gangnam Style" dance craze called the Harlem Shake to the Internet.
Political Science professor reacts to State of the Union Address
- In a February 13 front page article in the Marin Independent Journal, Alison Howard, chair of Dominican's Dept. of Political Science and International Studies, lends her opinion of President's Obama's speech.
Dominican grad attempts to launch new "Gangnam Style" video craze
- In a February 13 feature in the Marin Independent Journal, recent Dominican graduate Hank Rao films a video with his grandmothers called "The Harlem Shake" that becomes Internet sensation.
NY Times cites State of the Union Address research from Dominican
- In a February 12 article in the New York Times, research by Alison Howard, chair of Dominican's Department of Political Science and author, is mentioned in State of the Union Address story.
Penguins' basketball team upsets first-place team, defending champs
- In a February 12 game story in the Marin Independent Journal, Dominican's men's basketball team scores a thrilling upset win over first-place Dixie State, defending Pacific West Conference champions.
$1 million gift supports scholarships for Summer Search graduates
- In a February 8 front-page article in the Marin Independent Journal, Dominican alumna Susan Johann Gilardi creates endowed scholarship for low-income students who are first in family to attend college.
Nursing student brings team-first attitude to basketball team
- In a January 24 feature story in the Marin Independent Journal, 6-foot-4 nursing student Sarah Nelson discusses her desire to help her teammates on the basketball court and her patients as a nursing major.
Research by Dominican professor appears in CSM, CNBC
- In a January 19 cover story in the Christian Science Monitor that appeared on CNBC's website examining President Barack Obama's second term, research by "Addressing the State of the Union" co-author Alison Howard, assistant professor of Dominican’s Department of Political Science, is cited.
MBA graduate explains her career course to Harlem Globetrotters
- In a January feature stories in ESPN W, San Jose Mercury News, Contra Costa Times, Oakland Tribune, Reno Journal Gazette, San Francisco Examiner, Oakland Local and Daily Beacon in Knoxville, Tenn., Orange County Register, Atlanta Journal-Constitution, and Access Atlanta plus appearances on KNBR Radio and KRON 4-TV, and a live interview on Pacific West Conference Radio, Dominican MBA grad Tammy Brawner tells how she jumped from the Penguins' women's basketball team to join the Harlem Globetrotters.
Dominican psychology professor offers New Year's resolutions
In the January issues of Forbes,Women's Agenda, The Age in Australia, Dr. Gail Matthews, Professor of Psychology at Dominican, lends her expertise to setting and keeping goals for the new year.
Meadowlands gift will restore 125-year-old Dominican mansion
- In the January issue of Marin Magazine, the past and future of Meadowlands Hall is chronicled following an $8.5 million plus gift from the Rolf Lewis family that will renovate the building into a new health sciences center.
Transfer helps Penguins start fast in men's basketball
- In a December 23 season preview in the Marin Independent Journal, Devin Golston, a transfer from Saddleback College, is a key player in the best start by a Dominican men's basketball team since the 2004-05 season.
Dominican researchers study effects of exams on classroom performance
- In a November 27 feature on KPIX-TV CBS 5 in San Francisco, former Penguins' women's basketball player Tammy Brawner works out at Dominican before joining Harlem Globetrotters on 10-game global tour of military bases.
President Marcy's Meadowlands Hall gift announcement commended
- In a November 26 San Francisco Chronicle column, Dominican President Mary Marcy's announcement of Rolf Lewis' gift to transform Meadowlands Hall into a new state-of-the-art health sciences facility is applauded.
Dominican's largest donor tells life's story in exclusive TV interview
- In a November 23 feature on KPIX-TV CBS 5 in San Francisco, Rolf Lewis, whose $8 million plus gift will transform Meadowlands Hall into a health sciences facility, explains how he escaped Nazi Germany in WWII.
Editorial praises Dominican's vision, leadership in wake of $8 million gift
- In a November 19 editorial in the Marin Independent Journal, an $8 million gift by Rolf Lewis and family to renovate Meadowlands Hall is praised with Dominican's forward-thinking progression into top-notch university.
Dominican President Marcy announces largest gift ever at University
- In the November 15 issues of the San Francisco Business Times, Marin Independent Journal and North Bay Business Journal and in day-long reports/interviews on KCBS Radio in San Francisco and KQED Radio, a $8 million-plus gift from Rolf Lewis and family is announced in Angelico Hall by Dominican President Mary B. Marcy, which will enable the University to transform 124-year-old Meadowlands Hall into a state-of-the-art academic health sciences facility.
Professor, students note impact of youth vote during TV interview
- In a November 12 segment on KPIX-TV CBS 5 San Francisco, Dominican Political Science Professor Alison Howard and her students explain how the youth vote influenced this year's elections.
Former Dominican women's basketball player joins Harlem Globetrotters
- In a November 11 cover story in the Marin Independent Journal, Tammy Brawner, a Dominican MBA grad who played basketball for the Penguins, becomes the 10th woman in history to play for the Harlem Globetrotters.
Trustee Emeritus pens op-ed piece on benefits of new athletics complex
- In a November 11 guest editorial in the Marin Independent Journal, John F. Allen, past chair of Dominican's Board of Trustees, explains the virtues of the University's new athletics complex for teens in the community.
Venture Greenhouse mentoring services boost start-up green company
- In a November 5 article in the North Bay Business Journal, PulpWorks, Inc. commends Dominican's Venture Greenhouse for lending support and advice for its blister packaging alternative product.
Political Science students participate in national Election Day project
- In a November 5 story in the Pensacola News Journal, Dominican students team with University of West Florida students to collect exit poll research with specially designed iPad applications for national study.
Dominican Economic professor offers "Tax Tug of War" insights
- In a November posting on Bankrate.com, Dr. Arnon Hadar, professor of Economics at Dominican, lends insight to the role of taxes in everyday lives for the Web's leading aggregator of financial rate information.
New Dominican music chair is driving force behind Guest Concert Series
- In an October 25 feature in the Marin Independent Journal, June Choi Oh, new chair of Dominican's Music, Dance and Performing Arts Department, discusses world-acclaimed performers scheduled in 2012-13 Guest Concert Series at Angelico Hall.
"VoteSmart Challenge 2012" informs, educates Dominican students
- In an October 24 article in the Marin Independent Journal, four teams of Dominican students give presentations on key issues in 2012 U.S. Presidential election for audience members to vote on using digital keypads.
Political science students lead national exit poll study
- In an October 18 feature on KPIX-TV CBS 5 in San Francisco, Dominican students are interviewed who will participate in a national research project designed by their professor, Alison Howard, focused on voting differences across the country and the media's use of exit polls.
Dominican President weighs in on "Binders Full Of Women" comment
- In an October 18 story in the San Francisco Chronicle, Dominican President -- and political scientist -- Mary B. Marcy addresses the "Binders full of women" remark by Mitt Romney in U.S. presidential debate.
Dominican launches interdisciplinary program for GreenMBA, science
- In an October 15 story in the North Bay Business Journal, Dominican utilizes a $30,000 National Collegiate Inventors & Innovators Alliance grant to create course linking students in its chemistry and MBA programs.
NORS-DUC scientific breakthrough cited in combating spread of sudden oak death
- In an October 10 report in the Huffington Post, a breakthrough by scientists at the NORS-DUC facility at Dominican is noted as a way of combating the rapid growth of sudden oak death.
Children's issues at core of candidates' town hall-style forum in Angelico Hall
- In the October 9 editions of the Marin Independent Journal, Congressional and California State Assembly seat candidates debate key issues with KPIX-TV CBS 5 anchor Dana King as moderator.
Nursing major helps revitalize Dominican cross country program
- In an October 9 season preview in the Marin Independent Journal, junior transfer student Justin Valdez, a nursing major, leads the improving Penguins' cross country program against NCAA Division II competition.
President Marcy stresses in op-ed importance of elections regarding children's future
- In an October 6 guest editorial in the Marin Independent Journal, Dominican President Mary B. Marcy co-authors a "Marin Voice" emphasizing voters in upcoming elections to consider issues that will impact their children's health and safety, education and well-being in the future.
Dominican President meets with Commission on Presidential Debates
- In an October 5 column in the San Francisco Chronicle, Dominican President Mary B. Marcy provides a first-hand account of her visit to Denver, site of the first Barack Obama-Mitt Romney presidential debate.
Salman Rushdie addresses big crowd at Dominican's ILS Lecture Series
Dominican coach determined to build golf program
- In a September 23 story in the Marin Independent Journal, Gary Nelson, coach of Dominican's golf program, is optimistic about the Penguins' future with a strong recruiting class.
GreenMBA participating in Sustainable Performance Summit at Sonoma Raceway
- In September 6-7 articles in the San Francisco Chronicle, Sacramento Bee, Santa Rosa Press Democrat, Marin Independent Journal, Paddock Talk and Napa Valley Register, Dominican's GreenMBA program announces it will debut a sustainable performance ranging metric at Accelerating Sustainable Performance Summit.
Lady Penguins volleyball team boosted by strong recruiting class
- In a September 4 season preview in the Marin Independent Journal, veteran outside hitter Jessica Jones is excited by influx of new recruits joining Dominican's women's volleyball team.
New Provost, Special Assistant to President join Dominican
- In the September 3 issue of North Bay Business Journal, Steven E. Weisler is named as Provost at Dominican and Hanna Rodriguez-Farrar is named Special Assistant to President Mary Marcy.
Dominican men's soccer star returns from redshirt season
- In an August 29 season preview in the Marin Independent Journal, senior Pedro Guevara, the Pacific West Conference Preseason Player of the Year in 2011, rejoins the 2012 Penguins' men's soccer team.
Air Force Academy transfer lifts hopes of Penguins' women's soccer team
- In an August 28 season preview in the Marin Independent Journal, the addition of McKenna Kimball, who played at the Air Force Academy last year, creates excitement for Dominican's 2012 women's soccer team.
Research discovery at Dominican receives television coverage
- In the August 15 newscasts on KTVU-TV Channel 2 and KPIX-TV Channel 5 in San Francisco, Dr. Sibdas Ghosh, chair of Dominican's Dept. of Natural Sciences and Mathematics, is interviewed about a breakthrough discovery at the National Ornamental Research Site at Dominican.
Sudden Oak Death steam treatment discovered at Dominican
Professor Nicole Barnett honored by Diversity MBA Magazine
- In an August 13 article in the Sacramento Bee, Dr. Nicole Barnett, adjunct professor of nursing at Dominican, is one of four Kaiser Permanente leaders listed among Diversity MBA Magazine's Top 100 Under 50 Diverse Executive and Emerging Leaders list.
Dominican SID of the Year Davis appears on Pacific West Magazine Radio Show
- In the August 9 episode of the PacWest Magazine Radio Show based in Arizona, Brandon Davis,'06, the Sports Information Director of the Year at Dominican, is the featured guest discussing his career at the University.
Alonzo King and LINES Ballet impacts Dominican dance students
- In an August 2 feature in The New Republic magazine, Alonzo King's career encompasses developing the BFA in Dance program at Dominican benefitting aspiring dancers taking liberal arts courses.
Dominican nursing skills lab manager appears in Boston magazine
- In the July 25-August 7 issue of The Improper Bostonian magazine, Miriam Edelman, nursing skills lab manager at Dominican, is pictured with her daughter, Julie Nations, executive director of the Ellie Fund in Boston, at a fundraising event.
Dominican goal-setting study featured on "Voice of Women" online website
- In a July 18 article on BellaOnline, a study by Dr. Gail Matthews, professor of Psychology at Dominican, is praised by a Business Coach editor as a way of finding an "accountability buddy."
Breast cancer research continues at Dominican
Dominican Director of Athletics Terry Tumey moves on
Communication students broadcasting pro baseball games this summer
- In a June 29 story in the Marin IJ, Brian Sanchez and Hunter Horenstein,a pair of Dominican communications majors, and instructor Stuart Horne comprise pro baseball radio broadcasting crew.
Dominican GreenMBA graduate featured in national magazine
- In the June 2012 issue of SUCCESS Magazine, Natale Servino, a graduate of Dominican's GreenMBA, explains the careful process of how he "greened" his business -- Servino restaurant in Tiburon.
Dominican commencement address reaches national publication
- In the May 27 issue of The Chronicle of Higher Education, excerpts from Ronan Farrow's undergraduate commencement speech in Forest Meadows Amphitheater on May 12 are published
Dominican student wins car, vacation trip on Ellen DeGeneres Show
- In the May 21 airing of the Ellen DeGeneres Show, Charisa "Chrissy" Kelly, an Occupational Therapy student at Dominican with a heroic story, is surprised with a new car and a trip to Costa Rica by the show's host.
Commencement speaker reflects on his unique upbringing
- In a May 16 column in the San Francisco Chronicle, 24-year-old Ronan Farrow discusses making his mark as a diplomat at such a young age prior to delivering commencement address at Dominican.
Farrow encourages Dominican graduates to "shake things up" at commencement
- In a May 12 article in the Marin Independent Journal, Dominican commencement speaker Ronan Farrow urges graduates to confront today's economic crisis with original thinking and a willingness to buck trends.
Dominican students recognized for "youthful qualities" in commencement address
- In a May 12 sidebar in the Marin Independent Journal, Dominican students Farah Mohsen, Gabriel Navarrette, and Thea Noonan are praised by commencement address speaker Ronan Farrow.
Hillary Clinton aide to deliver keynote address at Dominican commencement
- In a May 10 story in the Marin Independent Journal, Ronan Farrow, an adviser on global youth issues to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, will give the undergraduate commencement address at Dominican.
Basketball player from New Zealand named Co-Female Athlete of the Year
- In a May 3 article in New Zealand's Daily Post, Penguins senior basketball player "Taki" Te Koi reflects on her four-career at Dominican and her basketball roots in her home country.
Researchers at Dominican discover link in heavy metal to breast cancer
Dominican hosts Pacific West Conference Women's Tennis Championships
- In an April 19 section-front article in the Marin Independent Journal, Dominican's women's tennis program is applauded for its progress from building new courts to hosting an NCAA Division II tournament.
President Mary Marcy moderates debate at Angelico Hall
- In an April 19 story in the Marin Independent Journal, Dominican President Mary Marcy is pictured in the middle of the stage smoothly moderating the 2nd U.S. Congressional District seat debate.
Debate at Dominican creates interesting dialogue
- In an April 19 article in the Santa Rosa Press Democrat, candidates for the 2nd Congressional District seat engage in pointed remarks in a debate moderated by Dominican President Mary Marcy.
Congressional District seat candidates debate at Dominican
- In an April 15 item in the San Francisco Chronicle, 12 candidates are scheduled to debate in Angelico Hall to fill the U.S. House of Representatives seat being vacated by retiring Congresswoman Lynn Woolsey.
New AHSS Dean Nicola Pitchford profiled in "Marin Snapshot"
- In an April 15 story in the Marin Independent Journal, Nicola Pitchford describes her colorful career leading to her becoming new dean of Dominican's School of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
Penguins' student-athlete combines lacrosse with surfing
- In an April 4 feature in the Davis Enterprise, Dominican senior lacrosse player Reed Upson details how he escapes to surf while balancing academics and athletics at the University.
Dominican partners with San Rafael on "Greening" Project
- In an April 2 article in the North Bay Business Journal, Dominican's GreenMBA program is partnering with the City of San Rafael and the San Rafael Chamber of Commerce to create sustainable business practices.
Dominican named to national community service honor roll for civic engagement
- In a March 26 story in the North Bay Business Journal, Dominican's Service Learning program is recognized for being named to the President's Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll for the fifth time.
Lady Penguins softball on the move with new coach
- In a March 25 article in the Marin Independent Journal, senior pitcher Jessi Saaty endorses the hard-working attitude brought to the Dominican softball team by new head coach Roni Sparrey.
Penguins golfer draws comparison to Tiger Woods
- In a March 23 feature in the Marin Independent Journal, the competitive nature of Dominican golfer Kevin Santos is likened to that of the legendary pro as the Penguins' golf teams aim to improve.
Freshmen contribute to improved play in Dominican lacrosse program
- In a March 19 story in the Marin Independent Journal, Kevin Powers and Jake Fritz lead a freshmen class that has raised expectations in the Penguins' lacrosse program in a fast-growing sport.
Dominican hosts 'State of First Amendment' panel discussion
- In a March 15 article in the Marin Independent Journal, Dominican's "Stand Up. Sit Down. Speak Out." campaign spurns a campus discussion featuring First Amendment experts and advocates.
Transfer student boosts Dominican's women's tennis program
- In a March 15 season preview in the Marin Independent Journal, Lady Penguins tennis player Gaby Verspieren explains her decision to transfer from NCAA Div. I Gonzaga to Dominican.
Aspen Institute invites Dominican to join new nationwide consortium
- In a March 12 story in the North Bay Business Journal, Dominican is recognized for being one of 30 colleges across the U.S. invited to join a consortium to help rethink undergraduate business education,
Dominican praised as resource for community business, education, innovation
- In a March 6 op-ed column in the Marin Independent Journal, Jon Myers, CEO of Graphene Technologies, commends Dominican's talented educators for partnering with the Marin community and beyond.
A "Question and Answer" session with Dominican Dean of Business and Leadership
- In a March 5 article in the North Bay Business Journal, Dr. Dan Moshavi, Dominican's new dean of the School of Business and Leadership, discusses the University's economic relationship with Marin County.
McNally family appear on Comcast Sports Net Bay Area's "Chronicle Live"
- On February 28, Penguins basketball player Xander McNally, who leads the nation in NCAA Division II in steals, and his father, Rich, are guests on CSN's "Chronicle Live," a popular hour-long live sports program.
Penguins basketball player guest on KRON 4 TV
- On February 20, Dominican senior basketball player Xander McNally is interviewed by KRON 4 TV sports reporter Vern Glenn about his Penguins career, his family and his relationship with sensation Jeremy Lin.
GreenMBA graduate profiled among rising young entrepreneurs
- In the February issue of North Bay Biz magazine, Dominican GreenMBA graduate Stig Westling, founder and CEO of start-up Skip to Renew at Dominican's Venture Greenhouse, is recognized for his achievements.
Dominican's Xander McNally, family featured in New York Times
- In a February 15 story in the New York Times, Dominican senior tri-captain Xander McNally, his brother Oliver and their basketball careers are followed closely by their parents who crisscross the country to watch.
Dominican Trustee Willie Brown remains a force in politics
- In a February 15 profile in the New York Times, Dominican Trustee -- and former San Francisco Mayor -- the Honorable Willie Brown examines his career after public office.
Cal Grant proposal would impact financial aid at Dominican
- In a February 12 article in the Marin Independent Journal, molecular cell biology student Elizabeth Castellanos is one of many students who wonder how the state's Cal Grant proposal with effect tuition.
Guest Concert Series offers Super Bowl Sunday alternative
- In a February 3 story in the Mill Valley Herald, Dominican's Guest Concert Series is touted for providing an alternative source of entertainment other than watching football on Super Bowl Sunday.
Dominican spotlighted for utilizing anti-plagiarism service in admissions
- In a January 30 report on NBC Bay Area in San Francisco, Dominican Graduate Admissions Director Larry Schwartz discusses the University's use of Turnitin, an anti-plagiarism database service.
Dominican President Marcy solves Tom Brokaw's football problem
- In a January 30 column in the San Francisco Chronicle, University President Mary Marcy invites NBC's Tom Brokaw to her home to watch the final minutes of the 49ers-Giants championship playoff game.
L.A. Times story recognizes Dominican for using Turnitin for plagiarism detection
- In a January 29 story in the Los Angeles Times, Larry Schwartz, Dominican's graduate admissions director, talks about the University's utilization of a database service that compares student essays to archives.
Penguins basketball doubleheader produces great games
- In a January 24 piece in the Marin Independent Journal, the Penguins' men's and women's basketball teams play a pair of exciting games in front of a big crowd against Pacific West Conference rival BYU-Hawaii.
Dominican's GreenMBA program lauded for business approach
- In a January 24 article in Greener Ideal, the educational experience in the GreenMBA program at Dominican is mentioned as bringing business relevancy and green living to a socially-conscious world.
Dominican to help Marin County with management training
- In a January 19 story in the Marin Independent Journal, Marin County workers at the Civic Center will receive leadership training through a custom program at Dominican University.
Top North Bay executives attend Business Edge Briefings breakfast
- In a January 16 article in the North Bay Business Journal, Dominican's Institute for Leadership Studies hosts business leaders to share and discuss 2012 Leadership Action Plans.
Dominican President Mary Marcy profiled in Marin Magazine
- In the January issue of Marin Magazine,Dominican President Mary Marcy participates in a question-and-answer session in a sit-down interview focused on her past accomplishments and the University's future.
Fast start by Dominican men's basketball team in Pacific West Conference play
- In a January 6 story in the Marin Independent Journal, junior point guard Ricky Wofford is praised for helping the Penguins' men's basketball team open PacWest play with back-to-back upset wins.
KPIX CBS 5 airs feature story on Dominican men's basketball player
- In a January 5 feature on KPIX-TV CBS 5 in San Francisco, Penguins basketball player Jacob Noisat talks about his devotion to his mother and his life-changing decisions to help her following his father's death.
International Big History Association recognizes Dominican
- In the January 2012 Newsletter of the International Big History Association, Dr. Nicola Pitchford, Dean of the School of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences, and Dominican's FYE Big History program are featured.
New Dean of School of Business and Leadership brings improv to classroom
- In a December 26 story in the Marin Independent Journal, Dan Moshavi, new Dean of the Dominican's School of Business and Leadership, explains how his background in improv comedy helps the University.
Dominican player delays basketball dream to help his mother in need
- In a December 18 column in the Santa Rosa Press Democrat, Jacob Noisat, a junior on Dominican's men's basketball team, makes sacrifices in his career to support his mom's career after family tragedy.
Penguins basketball player shapes up for this season
- In a December 14 feature in the Novato Advance, Melissa Wise, a junior on Dominican's women's basketball team, credits an off-season conditioning program and a 40-pound weight loss for her improvement.
New Zealand native provides inspiration for Dominican women's basketball team
- In a December 13 article in the Marin Independent Journal, Dominican senior tri-captain "Taki" Te Koi is recognized for her leadership and her journey to and through the Penguins basketball program.
Dominican partnership allows students to conduct graphene research
- In a December 12 story in the North Bay Business Journal, Dr. Sibdas Ghosh, chair of Dominican's Department of Natural Science and Mathematics, explains partnership with Graphene Technologies.
Former student body president leads Penguins' men's basketball team
- In a December 7 feature in the Marin Independent Journal, senior co-captain Mark Lewis, Dominican's student body president last year, discusses the past and future of the Penguins' men's basketball team.
Service-Learning class at Dominican combines college, high school students
- In a December 5 front-page feature in the Marin Independent Journal, "Beauty in The Struggle" program brings Marin County Community School students together with Dominican's art and education students.
Dominican joins "Greening for Profit" partnership in San Rafael
- In a December 2 article in the Marin Independent Journal, Dominican enters into a collaboration with the city of San Rafael and Chamber of Commerce in a green business program to benefit students and alumni.
Dominican research on successful goal-setting recognized
- In a December 2 blog on Fast Company, a study conducted by Dr. Gail Matthews, Professor of Psychology at Dominican, is heralded as a factor in determining the difference between success and failure in business.
The Value of Liberal Arts Education Explored
- In a November 21 Op-Ed piece in the Marin Independent Journal, Dr. Nicola Pitchford, Dean of Dominican's School of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences, says now is the time to invest in liberal arts education.
"Big History" program provides new perception to the human species
- In a November 14 article in the National Catholic Reporter, Andy Gramajo is one of 250 Dominican freshmen already benefitting from the University's "Big History" First Year Experience.
Busy News Week on Dominican campus
- In a November 8 column in the San Francisco Chronicle, author Bill Bryson's appearance in the 2011 Institute for Leadership Studies' Fall Lecture Series are among big news happenings at Dominican.
Dominican President Marcy appears on KPIX-TV Channel 5
- In a November 5 appearance on KPIX-TV, President Mary B. Marcy discusses the future of the University in an interview segment with reporter Anne Makovec.
CPD selects Dominican to involve students in civic engagement
- In a November 1 story on the NBC Bay Area website, Dominican is chosen by the Commission for Presidential Debates to head an international project focused on involving students in civic engagement.
Commission on Presidential Debates chooses Dominican to lead project
- In an October 31 political blog item in the San Francisco Chronicle, the Commission on Presidential Debates passes on Dominican to host a 2012 presidential/vice presidential debate yet picks the University to lead an international project.
Dominican's Venture Greenhouse has first "graduate"
- In an October 31 story in the North Bay Business Journal, Evolvelectric acquires Illumalighting, making it the first company to graduate from Dominican's new business incubator and accelerator program.
President Mary B. Marcy recalls her Nebraska roots
- In an October 30 column in the Omaha World Herald, newly installed Dominican President Mary B. Marcy reflects on her educational upbringing which began on a cattle ranch and one room schoolhouse.
LINES Ballet/BFA in Dance program alum praises Alonzo King
- In an October 26 story in Southwest Riverside News, Dominican alum Michael Montgomery, a dancer with the LINES Ballet, explains his admiration for the world renown choreographer.
Guest Concert Series, June Choi Oh receive rave reviews
- In a October 9 review in Classical Sonoma, Dominican faculty member June Choi Oh is commended for her performance on the University's new recital hall piano in the opening of the 2011-12 Guest Concert Series.
Dominican's Venture Greenhouse stages grand opening
- In an October 10 story in the North Bay Business Journal, Dominican's Venture Greenhouse business development accelerator will help GreenMBA graduates create jobs and not just look for them.
"Big History" offers unique intellectual experience for Dominican freshmen
- In an October 7 article in Inside Higher Education, Dominican freshmen spend a night stargazing with astronomers to learn more about the history and evolution of the universe in their "Big History" course.
Dominican's Alemany Library joins MARINet consortium
- In an October 3 story in the Marin Independent Journal, Dominican's Alemany Library adds its resource of 108,000 books and tapes to the Marin County library consortium to benefit all.
Dominican "Disaster" Professor Appears On KRON-TV
- On October 2, Dr. Matt Davis, Professor of Psychology at Dominican, was interviewed by Henry Tenenbaum on the KRON-TV Channel 4 Weekend News about disaster psychology and disaster preparedness as the anniversary of the 1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake approached.
Dominican Praised For Its Reach In The World
- In a September 28 article in the San Francisco Chronicle, Dominican is recognized for something other than "the soothing atmosphere of this intimate campus ... Just last year, Rosanne Cash, Robert Reich and Rick Steves spoke here, and gubernatorial candidates Jerry Brown and Meg Whitman participated in a debate."
Actress Jane Lynch appears at Dominican ILS Fall Lecture Series at Angelico Hall
- In a September 26 story in the San Rafael Patch, 'Glee' TV show star and Emmys host Jane Lynch talks about her memoir "Happy Accidents" in front of a near capacity crowd of 800 in Angelico Hall.
Graduate student receives $100,000 grant for breast cancer-related research
In a September 24 front-page article in the Marin Independent Journal
, graduate student Esmerelda Ponce discusses the NIH grant that will help her research into the role heavy metal cadmium plays in breast cancer.
Penguins soccer player, coach interviewed live on on PacWest Magazine Radio Show
- In a September 22 live interview on KQCK Radio in Arizona, Penguins Director of Soccer Jon Delano and Dominican player Dennis Maric talk about Maric's eight-year separation from his father during Bosnian War.
Dominican student from Iraq writes Op Ed piece recalling 9/11 aftermath from Baghdad
- In a September 11 editorial "Marin Voice" in the Marin Independent Journal, senior political science major Farah Mohsen, a member of the Iraqi Student Projects, recalls the US invasion of her homeland.
Volleyball player, coach who recruited her reconnect years later at Dominican
- In a September 8 season preview in the Marin Independent Journal, Sarah Bain comes full circle and hundreds of miles to finally play for Penguins coach Gayle Stammer.
Local star chooses to stay home and play for Dominican Penguins' men's soccer team
- In a September 7 season preview in the Marin Independent Journal, prized freshman recruit Nuri Bon-Acosta explains his decision to play at Dominican after receiving inquiries from NCAA Division I schools.
Dominican business professor weighs in on self-employed workers dominating local work force
- In a September 4 front-page story in the Marin Independent Journal, adjunct professor Paul Bozzo, co-founder of Dominican's Venture Greenhouse, offers insights about "creative professionals" in work force.
Penguins women's soccer star overcomes hip surgery to get back on top of her game
- In a September 3 season preview in the Marin Independent Journal, Julianna Bratsberg, an occupational therapy major, describes the pain she went through to rebound as her team's leading scorer.
Freshman aims to make impact on Penguins cross country team this season
- In a September 2 season preview in the Marin Independent Journal, freshman Adam Scott hopes to raise the expectations of the Penguins' cross country team as it enters its second year of NCAA Div. II competition.
Construction underway at Dominican's new athletics field complex
- In an August 30 front-page story in the Marin Independent Journal, Athletics Director Terry Tumey discusses the impact the new athletics field complex will have on Dominican and the surrounding community.
Dr. Mary Marcy begins her first day as the ninth president in Dominican's 122-year history
In an August 23 front-page profile in the Marin Independent Journal
, President Mary Marcy reflects on the value of education to create opportunities to utilize talent and skills to transform lives.
"Big History" program provides comprehensive study for Dominican's first-year students
- In an August 22 front-page story in the Marin Independent Journal, Dominican's "Big History" is recognized for being an extensive and universal introductory course.
Dominican's Venture Greenhouse taking shape in San Rafael
- In an August 20 article in the Marin Independent Journal, start-up companies such as Illumalighting are discovering the benefits of Venture Greenhouse, Dominican's business accelerator in San Rafael.
Women's soccer player reflects on successful freshman season at Dominican
- In an August 2 story in the Sonora Union Democrat, Tori Selesia, a business administration major, talks about her first goal for the Penguins and how excited she is for the upcoming season.
New Penguins head softball coach hits recruiting trail running
- In a July 20 article in the Vallejo Times-Herald, former Cal Poly record-setting player and former Cal State Northridge championship coach Roni Sparrey accepts challenge to rebuild Dominican softball program.
Dominican GreenMBA student lends support to "Slow Money" event
- In a June 10 story in the Marin Independent Journal, GreenMBA student Stig Westling attends inaugural entrepreneur showcase, co-sponsored by Dominican GreenMBA program, in San Francisco.
New Dominican men's basketball coach appears with Gary Radnich on KRON-TV
- In a May 18 appearance on KRON-TV, new Dominican men's basketball coach Booker T. Harris is interviewed by popular Bay Area sports celebrity Gary Radnich in a "Sit Down" segment on KRON4-TV.
Booker T. Harris named new head men's basketball coach at Dominican
- In a May 18 story in the Marin Independent Journal, Dominican announces that it has hired former Metro State University assistant coach and USF player Booker T. Harris to be its new head men's basketball coach.
Retiring Dominican President Joseph R. Fink delivers Commencement address
- In a May 15 article in the Marin Independent Journal, Dominican President Joseph R. Fink speaks to the Class of 2011 at graduation ceremonies in a day full of surprises to top his 23-year tenure at the University.
"Venture Greenhouse" gaining momentum as business accelerator
- In a May 2 story in the North Bay Business Journal, Dominican's GreenMBA-inspired incubator is taking shape before the June debut in a 5,000-square foot building in a San Rafael commercial zone.
Penguins end quest to upset rival Notre Dame de Namur in men's lacrosse
- In a April 29 preview in the Marin Independent Journal, Dominican coach Ned Webster and players are inspired to gain revenge against their chief rival, which they did, beating NDNU for the first time in DU history.
Dominican receiving marked increase in transfer applications from students
- In a April 23 front-page article in the San Francisco Chronicle, a photo in Bertrand Hall appears with a story about how Dominican is one of several private colleges benefitting from the cash-strapped CSU system.
Dominican graduate inspired by childhood setback to pursue career in OT
- In an April 17 "Marin Snapshot" profile in the Marin Independent Journal, Dr. Mohammed Khalifa, '02, a clinical adviser in the Occupational Therapy program, talks about how a rare disease changed his calling.
SOD Blitz returns to Dominican for training session on Sudden Oak Death
- In an April 15 story in the Marin Independent Journal, Dr. Matteo Garbelotto explains the goal of helping people identify and collect samples to combat spread of Sudden Oak Death pathogen.
Caroline Kennedy addresses capacity crowd in Dominican's Angelico Hall
- In an April 14 front page article in the Marin Independent Journal, Caroline Kennedy, daughter of the 35th President of the United States, speaks at Dominican's ILS lecture series about poetry and women's issues.
Dominican selected as potential site for 2012 presidential debate
- In April 2 stories in the Associated Press, San Francisco Chronicle, CBS San Francisco and Marin Independent Journal, the Commission on Presidential Debates named Dominican University of California to its list of 12 potential sites to host a presidential or vice presidential debate in 2012.
Offerings expand in Dominican's GreenMBA program
- In a March 28 article in US News and World Report, Dominican's GreenMBA program is lauded for featuring a wide range of courses that include an environmental and social impact angle.
Genetic Research on Sports Injuries comes to Dominican
- In a March 27 story in The Chronicle of Higher Education, Dr. James Kovach, a former National Football League player and new Dominican professor, discusses his research on sports injuries.
Dominican President Among New College Presidents in Bay Area
- In a March 24 article in the San Francisco Chronicle, Dominican's Dr. Mary Marcy is recognized among the new college presidents hired in the Bay Area.
Dr. Mary Marcy named President-Elect at Dominican University
- In a March 22 front-page article in the Marin Independent Journal, Dr. Mary Marcy is welcomed as Dominican's President-Elect -- its ninth in the University's 121-year history -- succeeding retiring Joseph Fink.
Penguins lacrosse player following his brother's footsteps at Dominican
- In a March 18 season preview in the Marin Independent Journal, redshirt freshman Dalton Copeland aspires to inspire Dominican's men's lacrosse as his brother, Jesse, did from 2006-08.
Dominican hosts Marin Math Circle program for seventh through ninth graders
- In a March 12 story in the Marin Independent Journal, Dominican's natural sciences and mathematics program reaches out to help local middle school students with problem solving in campus classrooms.
Transfer student joins Penguins' men's golf team to be closer to family
- In a March 12 season preview in the Marin Independent Journal, senior business administration major Julius Arterberry explains why he left a NCAA Division I program to attend Dominican and play golf.
Former U.S. Senator discusses health care reform during Dominican visit
- In a February 23 front-page article in the Marin Independent Journal, David Durenberger, former U.S. Senator from Minnesota, and his wife, Susan Foote, assessed health care reform in a meeting at Dominican.
Dominican research lends to adhering to New Year's Resolutions
- In a February 22 article in Good Housekeeping, research from Dominican is cited in helping people stick to their New Year's resolutions by putting their goals on paper as a means to achieve them.
Dominican senior balances basketball stardom with nursing major
- In a February 16 story in the Marinscope's Novato Advance, Penguins basketball player Kelsey Janusch shows that student-athletes can succeed on the court and in the classroom at the same time.
Novato science teacher honored after participating in Dominican MESA program
- In a February 13 article in the Novato Patch, Gina Schilling received an Endeavor Fellowship from NASA for her efforts to bring STEM education to Hill Middle School, which was tabbed by Dominican's MESA program.
English major guides Dominican softball team through rough schedule
- In a February 12 season preview in the Marin Independent Journal, Robyn Ridpath, a senior English major at Dominican and a former walk-on, is helping the Penguins write the script on their upcoming season.
Super Bowl Sunday chamber music concert features Dominican faculty member
- In a February 6 story in the Larkspur/Corte Madera Patch, pianist June Choi Oh, a faculty member at Dominican and the San Francisco Conservatory of Music, discusses Super Bowl "alternative."
Dominican athletics administration manager among Super Bowl fans
- In a February 5 front-page article in the Marin Independent Journal, Green Bay Packers fan Patrick Huser, facilities manager in Conlan Center, expresses his rooting interest in Super Bowl XLV.
Guest Concert Series celebrates 10th Anniversary Season at Dominican
- In a February 2 story in the San Rafael News Pointer, June Choi Oh, a Dominican faculty member, discusses the Guest Concert Series, which she helped create, that brings world-class musicians to Angelico Hall.
Dr. Melba Beals reflects on African-American History Month
- In a front-page feature in the February issue of the Whistlestop Express, Dr. Melba Beals, chair of Dominican's Communications Department, recalls her struggles as a member of the "The Little Rock Nine."
Former Penguins basketball player interns for Golden State Warriors, Raiders
- In a January 28 article in the Alameda Journal, Dominican graduate student Michaela Baskerville explains how she juggles pursuit of her master's degree while interning with two professional sports franchises.
Dominican receives $2.25 million in bequests, grants for science programs
- In a January 27 story in the Marin Independent Journal, Dominican science programs are the recipient of a $2 million gift from the Yin estate and a $225,000 grant from the Keck Foundation.
GreenMBA graduate Zach Davis meets President Obama at White House
- In a January 26 article in the San Rafael Patch, Dominican GreenMBA graduate Zach Davis talks about business plan at Dominican and his invitation to the State of the Union Address and the White House.
Renovated Edgehill Mansion opens doors for public reception
Dominican's outreach continues to help educate South African black students
In a January 23 column in the Marin Independent Journal, Dominican faculty and students are recognized for their efforts to connect with and teach black high school students in South Africa, which lacks educators.
Dominican GreenMBA program meets rising popularity of business applications
- In a January 7 article in the San Francisco Business Times, Dominican's GreenMBA program is noted for tailoring its business school offerings to niche markets to meet growing demand.
Penguins star soccer player helps sister cope with rare brain disorder
- In a January 1 story in the Santa Rosa Press Democrat, Dominican soccer player and occupational therapy major Pedro Guevara talks about the inspiring story of caring for his younger sister.
News Office, 105 Guzman Hall
Dominican University of California
50 Acacia Avenue
San Rafael, CA 94901
Follow us on