Links to the articles are included, but please note that some sites require registration or may have expired.
View the most recent examples of Dominican in the News.
Ecology and Feminism class at Dominican praised for "Water Challenge"
- In Leah Garchik's December 16 column in the San Francisco Chronicle, Dr. Mairi Pileggi's colloquium class is noted for the tap vs. bottled water taste test it conducted on the Dominican campus.
Dominican men's basketball team moves on without top scorer
- In a December 15 column in the Marin Independent Journal, Penguins coach Bret Tovani talks about the tough schedule ahead for his team minus Austin Bryan, who is taking a medical redshirt this season.
Bishop McElroy blesses new St. Catherine Benincasa Chapel at Dominican
- In a December 12 story in the San Rafael Patch, The Most Reverend Robert McElroy, Auxiliary Bishop of San Francisco, blesses the chapel in Dominican's new Heritage and Alumni House.
Determined Penguins student-athlete deals with adversity through basketball career
- In a December 6 season preview in the Marin Independent Journal, senior Shelly Clermenco has relied on basketball to get her through difficult times with family issues and injuries.
Dominican's "Fringe of Marin" launches 2010 fall season with one-act plays
- In a November 18 story in the San Francisco Bay Times, Dr. Annette Lust, French teacher at Dominican since 1961 and founder of "Fringe of Marin" in 1996, welcomes the fall season premier of the festival.
Injuries nag start of Dominican's 2010-11 men's basketball season
- In a November 12 season preview in the Marin Independent Journal, redshirt senior Adam Chavis returns to the Penguins but several of his key teammates are on the mend as the Penguins open their season.
Dominican GreenMBA graduate invited to White House by VP Joe Biden
- In a November 11 article in the San Jose Mercury News, Zach Davis, a 2009 Green MBA grad, receives a phone call and invite from Joe Biden, thanking Davis for inspiring YouTube video on stimulus plan.
Dominican programs bring generations together through conversations
- In a November 2 story in the Marin Independent Journal, Dominican's "Intergenerational Communication Project" includes a connection between biology majors and Marin County senior citizens.
Final look at the evolution of Dominican's Big Debate
- In the lead story in the November issue of Marin Magazine, the behind-the-scenes makings of Dominican's gubernatorial debate on October 12 are explored as the small, private University builds a high-profile event.
Dominican GreenMBA grad gets national attention through YouTube video
- In an October 29 story in the Santa Cruz Sentinel, Zach Davis, an alumnus of Dominican's GreenMBA program, and partner make a video to thank the federal stimulus plan for launching their ice cream business.
Service Learning Program at Dominican assists Farm to School Program
- In an October 27 article in the San Rafael News Pointer, Dominican students in a colloquium class co-taught by philosophy professor Julia Van der Ryn are reaching out to help sustainable local agriculture efforts.
Dominican's community outreach includes pair of events
- In an October 26 "About Town" column in the San Rafael Patch, Dominican is recognized for a breast cancer awareness fundraising project and an "Intergenerational Conversation" hosted by PBS' Spencer Michels.
Dominican, Brokaw score high in hosting gubernatorial debate
- In October 17 columns in the Marin Independent Journal, Dominican scores high marks for hosting the California Governor's debate and having NBC's Tom Brokaw moderate it.
Historic Edgehill Mansion renovation completed on Dominican campus
- In an October 16 article in the Marin Independent Journal, the refurbished 123-year-old Edgehill Mansion is re-dedicated as Dominican's Heritage and Alumni House during Spirit Day ceremonies.
Dominican student retrieves Giants' pitcher Tim Lincecum's good-luck bracelet
- In an October 15 story in the Marin Independent Journal, Dominican student Tim Parnow's good deed -- he found the lost bracelet of Giants' star Tim Lincecum -- may have helped the team win the World Series.
California Governor's debate pushes Dominican into national spotlight
- In October 13 stories, blogs and video in the Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, MSNBC, NBC Bay Area, New York Times, Associated Press, Reuters, Bloomberg, Los Angeles Times, San Francisco Chronicle, San Jose Mercury News, Sacramento Bee, Christian Science Monitor, Marin Independent Journal, Santa Rosa Press Democrat, Bay Citizen, San Rafael Patch, San Anselmo/Fairfax Patch, San Rafael Newspointer , CalBuzz.com, Politico, and Pacific Sun, Dominican hosts the third and final California gubernatorial debate between Jerry Brown and Meg Whitman.
Media, ticket frenzy grows for California Governor's debate
- In an October 12 story in the Santa Rosa Press Democrat, tickets are scarce and media interest has skyrocketed at Dominican for the third and final Jerry Brown-Meg Whitman debate before general election.
NBC News' Tom Brokaw set to moderate gubernatorial debate at Dominican
- In an October 11 front-page story in the Marin Independent Journal, veteran NBC journalist Tom Brokaw reflects on his career covering politics in California.
Dominican prepares for gubernatorial debate at Angelico Hall
- In an October 11 front-page story in the Marin Independent Journal, final preparations for the October 12 California Governor's debate between Jerry Brown and Meg Whitman are revealed.
U.S. Marine Corps selects Dominican leadership training program
- In an October 4 item in the North Bay Business Journal, Dominican's Institute for Leadership Studies' "The Making of Leaders" certificate is selected by the Marines as a training program for its civilian team.
Former U.S. Labor Secretary Robert Reich speaks at Dominican
- In an October 2 article in the San Rafael Patch, Professor Robert Reich, Secretary of Labor under President Bill Clinton, appears at Angelico Hall as part of the Institute for Leadership Studies' Fall Lecture Series.
Cross country returns to Dominican intercollegiate athletics
- In a September 25 season preview in the Marin Independent Journal, new Penguins cross country running coach Larry Schwartz leads the revival of the sport at Dominican in NCAA Division II competition.
New player, coach bring support to Penguins volleyball program
- In a September 10 season preview in the Marin Independent Journal, new coach Gayle Stammer's Dominican volleyball team is bolstered by Melissa Wise's return to the sport.
High expectations for Dominican women's soccer team
- In an September 1 season preview in the Marin Independent Journal, a trio of players from Marin reiterate the Penguins' team goal to compete for a Pacific West Conference championship this year.
Penguins' top men's soccer recruit follows sister's footsteps to Dominican
- In an August 31 season preview in the Marin Independent Journal, David Mendez aims to be as successful as his sister, Ellie, a three-time Dominican female athlete of the year who is completing her nursing program.
Dominican GreenMBA co-founder promotes green entrepreneurship
- In an August 26 post on Triplepundit.com, John Stayton, director of Dominican's GreenMBA program, observes that political parties can find common ground solving environmental problems.
Edgehill Mansion 19th century Victorian renovation at Dominican hailed
- In the September issue of North Bay Biz, the $8 million restoration of 123-year-old Edgehill Mansion on campus is featured as it readies for its opening as the Dominican "Heritage and Alumni House."
Record enrollment highlights opening day of fall classes
- In August 24 articles in the San Rafael Patch and Marin Independent Journal, Dominican welcomes a record freshmen class of 342 plus as many as 111 new transfer students, a 41 percent increase from last fall.
"First Generation" Dominican students profiled in Marin Magazine
- In the September issue of Marin Magazine, three students who are the first in their families to attend college tell what brought them to Dominican and what keeps them engaged in the educational experience.
Dominican launches gubernatorial debate website
- In August 18 blogs on SFGate.com and in a San Rafael Patch article, Dominican's new gubernatorial debate website, designed by Earthsite and GreenMBA alum Joey Shepp, is unveiled.
Penguins basketball player sidelined by broken hand
- In an August 11 story in the Marin Independent Journal, star Dominican guard Xander McNally undergoes surgery after being injured in the championship series of the San Francisco Pro/Am basketball league.
Students laud 10,000 Degrees' `Summer Application Institute' at Dominican
- In an August 6 story in the Marin Independent Journal, low-income Marin students benefit from a preparation program at Dominican created by 10,000 Degrees, formerly known as the Marin Education Foundation.
Dominican MESA program to aid local middle and high school schools
- In an August 6 front-page article in the Marin Independent Journal, Dominican, boosted by a Marin Community Foundation grant, will open its science center to teachers and minority/low-income students in four schools.
Tom Brokaw to moderate gubernatorial debate at Dominican
Penguins soccer player attends World Cup soccer matches
- In July articles in the Marin Independent Journal, Dominican soccer player Garrett Mitchell is among fans who cheered -- and blew vuvuzelas -- at World Cup matches in South Africa.
Jerry Brown accepts Dominican's debate invitation
- In a June 29 article in the Orange County Register, Jerry Brown announces that he has accepted Dominican University's invitation for a gubernatorial debate against Meg Whitman at Angelico Hall.
Dominican basketball player pursues medical career
- In a June 29 story in the Longview Daily News, 6-foot-10 Penguins basketball player Tyler Sokol is spending his summer working at the Pacific Surgical Institute in his home state of Washington.
"Healing Art of Writing" workshop comes to Dominican
- In a June 23 story in the Marin Independent Journal, Joan Baranow, poet and assistant professor of English at Dominican, and her husband David Watts organize a workshop to explore writing as a bridge to health.
Dominican student defers grad school to join Peace Corps
- In a June 17 article in the Brentwood Press, graduating senior Tala Loubieh explains why she is delaying grad school entrance at Columbia University to begin a 27-month assignment in Africa for the Peace Corps.
Meg Whitman accepts Dominican's debate invitation
- In a June 10 blog in the Los Angeles Times, Republican gubernatorial candidate Meg Whitman announces to a rally in San Jose that she has accepted Dominican University's offer to a Governor's debate in October.
California Oak Mortality Task Force meets at Dominican
- In a June 10 story in the Marin Independent Journal, a three-day conference ends with news that the cold, wet winter likely will lead to a new round of sudden oak death.
Dominican President Fink named "Most Influential Leader"
- In the May 24 issue of the North Bay Business Journal, Dominican University of California President Joseph R. Fink is recognized as being among one of the most influential leaders in the North Bay.
Gavin Newsom delivers crowd-pleasing commencement speech
- In a May 16 article in the Marin Independent Journal, San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom wowed a standing-room-only audience with his commencement address in front of 285 Dominican undergraduates.
Mother and son graduate together at Dominican commencement
- In a May 15 story in the Marin Independent Journal, Linda Simon and her 27-year-old son Cory tell the story of how they decided to attend Dominican University -- then wound up graduating on the same day.
Dominican to host 2010 California Gubernatorial Debate in October
Robinson brings character to Conlan Center event
- In a May 4 article in the San Francisco Chronicle and in April 28 columns in the Marin Independent Journal and Santa Rosa Press Democrat, Oregon State University basketball coach Craig Robinson's visit to Dominican is touted. He is brother-in-law of President Barack Obama.
GreenMBA program graduates recognized for Earth Day
- In an April 21 Q&A story in the San Francisco Chronicle, Mike Yohay and Phoebe Higgins are featured for using their GreenMBA degrees as a force for positive change.
MCF grant to help Dominican establish Center for Healthy Aging
- In an April 14 article in the Marin Independent Journal, Dominican is among 14 local organizations to receive grants from the Marin Community Foundation totaling $1.1 million to provide health services for older residents.
Dominican Green student promotes understanding of sustainability
- In an April 6 story on MoreMarin.com, environmental expert Jan Alff Wiegel, who is completing her Certificate of Sustainable Practices at Dominican, advises how to get the right information and data about sustainability.
Dominican history teacher authors book about 60s conservatism
- In a March 23 article in the Marin Independent Journal, Dominican faculty member Bernard von Bothmer examines the turbulent 1960s and how he believes the conservative movement used that period for its political purposes.
GreenMBA faculty member defines "sustainable" and "green" trends
- In a March 11 op-ed Marin Voice article in the Marin Independent Journal, Ed Quevedo, a faculty member of Dominican's MBA Program in Sustainable Enterprise, sorts out sustainable development claims by businesses.
Dominican's men's basketball team featured on KTVU TV Channel 2
- In its Sports Wrap on February 27, KTVU-TV Channel 2 weekend sports anchor Joe Fonzi tell a story of NCAA Division II athletics in the Bay Area and how the Dominican men's basketball team balances it with academics.
OT professor describes volunteer work with Interplast Inc. in foreign countries
- In a February 27 Marin Snapshot interview in the Marin Independent Journal, Karen Pitbladdo, assistant professor of occupational therapy at Dominican, explains her role treating disfigured burn victims all over the world.
Penguins' men's lacrosse team featured on KGO TV Channel 7
- In its sportscast on February 23, KGO-TV Channel 7 and weekend sports anchor Mike Shumann air a feature report on the Dominican men's lacrosse program and the sport's growing popularity in the Bay Area.
Dominican's scholars/mentoring program with Kaiser Permanente lauded
- In a February 22 article in the North Bay Business Journal, the scholars/mentors program between Dominican and Kaiser Permanente is highlighted among colleges collaborating with area hospitals.
Flaaten becomes all-time career scorer in Dominican women's basketball
- In a February 20 notebook column lead in the Oakland Tribune, senior guard Alisha Flaaten is recognized for becoming the all-time leading scorer in Dominican women's basketball history.
Two-sport athlete narrows focus on Penguins softball team
- In a February 19 season preview in the Marin Independent Journal, sophomore Jill Rizo explains her choice to give up soccer and concentrate on being catcher for Dominican's young softball team.
Hee leads largest Dominican men's lacrosse recruiting class ever
- In a February 13 season preview in the Marin Independent Journal, Tai Sing Hee heads a freshmen class of recruits that is the biggest in Dominican lacrosse history as its program transitions into NCAA Division II play.
Dr. Melba Beals recognized in portfolio in national publication
- In the February 15-22 issue of The New Yorker magazine, Dominican's chair of the communications is featured in a powerful photograph (top row, middle) of "The Little Rock Nine" honoring heroes of the Civil Rights Era.
Dominican GreenMBA graduate featured in national magazine
- In a question-and-answer segment on February 12 in Fast Company, 2007 Dominican grad Mike Yohay, CEO of Cityscape Farms, explains the success of his company with greenhouses that yield fresh, sustainable food.
NORS-DUC moves forward with plans to build outdoor laboratory
- In a February 10 article in the Marin Independent Journal, a public meeting is the next step toward establishing a research center on Dominican's campus to study the spread of a pathogen responsible for sudden oak death.
New Penguins women's tennis coach to the rescue
- In a February 8 story in the Marin Independent Journal, Dominican tennis coach Greg Kennett calms the concerns of his new players as they ready for their first swing at NCAA Division II competition.
Dominican basketball trip to Hawaii not a vacation
- In a February 9 article in the Marin Independent Journal, Dominican's men's and women's basketball teams pack for an eight-day, four-game business-like trip to Hawaii to play Pacific West Conference foes.
Dominican women's basketball team playing catch-up this season
- In a January 19 game story in the Marin Independent Journal, the Penguins' inexperience in NCAA Division II play was evident in a tough home loss to Dixie State in a Pacific West Conference contest.
Partnering with community beneficial to Dominican
- In a January 18 article in the North Bay Journal, Dominican's research-based master's of science degrees through BioMarin Pharmaceutical and the Buck Institute are praised for creativity in rough economic times.
News Office, 105 Guzman Hall
Dominican University of California
50 Acacia Avenue
San Rafael, CA 94901
Follow us on