Packing for Campus
It's always a good idea to talk with your roommate to ensure that you don't have two of everything. Roommates should decide who will bring the items such as the stereo, TV, DVD player, refrigerator, etc. before moving in – it will help save space. Please note that there is no storage available on campus. Whatever you bring to your room must fit in your room and university furniture must stay in rooms.
- Alarm clock (one with battery back up is a good idea)
- Bathroom towels, bath mats, shower mats, etc.
- Cleaning supplies: Students are required to regularly clean their rooms & bathrooms.
- Desk lamp
- Power strips with long cords (must be UL approved)
- Extra shower towels for use at the Conlan Recreation Center pool
- Family emergency information: emergency contact with address and phone number
- Hand soap/shower soap for bathroom
- Laundry basket or bag and laundry detergent. Washers/dryers operate with “smart cards” so you won’t need to worry about quarters!
- Medical insurance information (proof of coverage) and auto insurance info.
Dominican is not responsible for lost, stolen, or damaged student property – we strongly encourage you too purchase a renter’s insurance policy or to look into coverage provided by your parents homeowner’s policy.
- Personal toiletries: make-up, shampoo, deodorant, grooming products, etc
- Quarters for vending machines
- School supplies: pens/pencils, paper and notebooks, dictionary and thesaurus, calculator
- Small first-aid kit
- Toilet paper
- Twin bedding: sheets, blankets, bedspread or comforter, pillow and mattress pad.
Please note that we are moving to STANDARD TWIN mattresses in all rooms. Twin-XL sheets should still work, though the fitted sheet may need to be tucked in at the corners.
You may wish to bring the following
- Area rug (8' x 10’ will fit in most rooms – Meadowlands/Edgehill Village rooms have carpeted floors)
- Basic utensils: mugs, silverware, a few microwave safe dishes - please DO NOT borrow these items from the dining hall!
- Bulletin board or white board for your door - must be mounted with removable double-sided tape or museum putty.
- Computer - We recommend using a leash-lock for laptops
- Some sort of fan for your room; oscilating fans work well in most all rooms
- Iron and small ironing board
- Membership cards/discount cards for warehouse stores (Costco) or discount superstores (Target, Wal-Mart, etc)
- Room decorations such as plants, posters (must be hung with sticky tack/putty, or blue colored painter’s tape – PLEASE DO NOT use regular masking tape, clear tape, or nails)
- Small refrigerator (no larger than 4.0 cubic feet) – limit one per room
- Snack food
- Stamps and stationery
- Storage bins for books, clothes, misc. belongings (think under-bed storage)
- Television or Stereo
Items not allowed
If found in your room, these items will be confiscated and not returned
- Electric blankets
- Extension cords (items must be plugged directly into the wall or into a surge protected multi-outlet power strip.
- Items to burn such as candles and incense
- Large items of furniture not supplied by the University
- Open element appliances – flame or hot plate (these are an extreme fire hazard)
- Pets of any kind
- Small kitchen appliances: toasters/ovens, hot-pots, espresso machines, rice steamers, etc.
- Space heaters or air conditioning units
- We discourage you from bringing microwave ovens. They are a significant cause of power shortages, power outages, and lost term papers (computer power surges!)
All electrical appliances must be UL approved and be approved by the Office of Campus Life. If you have any questions about whether you should bring a specific item, please call and ask!