Be in touch with your roommate to discuss room items such as the stereo, TV, DVD player, refrigerator, etc. before moving in – it will help save space. Please note, there is no storage available on campus therefore your belongings must fit in your room along with the university furniture.
- Alarm clock (one with battery back up is a good idea)
- Bathroom towels, bath mats, shower mats, etc.
- Cleaning supplies: Students are required to regularly clean their rooms & bathrooms
- Desk lamp
- Power strips with long cords (must be UL approved)
- Extra shower towels for use at the Conlan Recreation Center pool
- Family emergency information: emergency contact with address and phone number
- Hand soap/shower soap
- Laundry basket or bag and laundry detergent. Washers/dryers operate with “smart cards”
- Medical insurance information (proof of coverage) and auto insurance information
Dominican is not responsible for lost, stolen, or damaged student property – we strongly encourage you too purchase a renter’s insurance policy or to look into coverage provided by your parents homeowner’s policy
- Personal toiletries
- Quarters for vending machines
- School supplies: pens/pencils, paper and notebooks, dictionary and thesaurus, calculator
- Small first-aid kit
- Toilet paper
- Twin bedding: sheets, blankets, bedspread or comforter, pillow and mattress pad
Please note, we are moving to STANDARD TWIN mattresses in all rooms. Twin-XL sheets should still work, though the fitted sheet may need to be tucked in at the corners.
You may wish to bring the following
- Area rug (8' x 10’ will fit in most rooms – Meadowlands/Edgehill Village rooms have carpeted floors)
- Basic utensils: mugs, silverware, a few microwave safe dishes - please do not borrow these items from the dining hall
- Bulletin board or white board for your door - must be mounted with removable double-sided tape or museum putty
- Computer - We recommend using a leash-lock for laptops
- Some sort of fan for your room; oscilating fans work well in most all rooms
- Iron and small ironing board
- Membership cards/discount cards for warehouse stores (Costco) or discount superstores (Target, Wal-Mart, etc.)
- Room decorations such as plants, posters (must be hung with sticky tack/putty, or blue colored painter’s tape – Please do not use regular masking tape, clear tape, or nails)
- Small refrigerator (no larger than 4.0 cubic feet) – limit one per room
- Snack food
- Stamps and stationery
- Storage bins (under-bed) for books, clothes, etc.
Technology Info (phone, TV, internet)
Each room is equipped with a phone line, basic cable TV, and high-speed internet. Students are required to bring their own phone and cord, Dominican will maintain the phone line/jack. Local calls (Marin County) are free, but you will need to have a calling card for long distance service. Your phone number will be given to you during Orientation. If you bring a TV, please be sure to bring a standard cable cord. Also, you will need an Ethernet card & cord for your computer if you plan on using the University’s internet service. All cords need to be at least 10-feet in length – it will help when setting up your room.
Items not allowed
If found in your room, these items will be confiscated and not returned:
- Electric blankets
- Extension cords (items must be plugged directly into the wall or into a surge protected multi-outlet power strip)
- Items to burn such as candles and incense
- Large furniture not supplied by the University
- Open element appliances – flame or hot plate (these are an extreme fire hazard)
- Any pets
- Small kitchen appliances: toasters/ovens, hot-pots, espresso machines, rice steamers, etc.
- Space heaters or air conditioning units
- We discourage you from bringing microwave ovens. They are a significant cause of power shortages and outages
All electrical appliances must be UL approved and be approved by the Office of Campus Life. If you have any questions about whether you should bring a specific item, please call and ask.