Preservation of Meadowlands
Built in 1888 and sold by the de Young family to the Dominican Sisters in 1918, the Meadowlands building is considered to be a historic resource by the City of San Rafael, listed in the San Rafael Historical and Architectural Survey and classified as an "exceptional" property. Preserving the architectural beauty and appearance of the building is being steadfastly adhered to.
- The Assembly/Lecture Hall footprint will remain the same size. View the new floor plan.
- The non-historic plywood paneling will be removed due to the need for additional structural wall members. The room will have new sheetrock and finishes.
- All the stained glass shields from the windows have been removed, and will be replaced upon completion.
- The stained glass in the foyer area of the Redwood Room and grand stairway have been removed for preservation and will be re-leaded for reinsertion.
- The pillars of the grand stairway were boxed in for protection and the fireplace is being maintained. Finishes will be maintained where possible.
- In the Hunt Room, large bordered partitions have been installed to protect the murals. The building was successfully lifted to replace the footings under the Hunt Room without causing distress.
- The Wicker Room will become office space, with the removal of the interior fireplace. The exterior clinker brick chimney will be re-installed.
- The Hunt Room, Redwood Room and Wicker Room will incorporate the historical wood flooring.