dominican logo top
 

Contact Us

Office of Advancement and
Alumni Engagement 

Meet the staff ›

Guzman Hall rm. 101

50 Acacia Avenue

San Rafael, CA 94901

P: 415.257.1396

F: 415.257.0162

kim.richter@dominican.edu

History

1888:

170px-M._H._de_Young_1885.jpg

Meadowlands, so named for its location in Golden Meadows as it was then known, was constructed for Michael H. de Young, publisher of the San Francisco Chronicle. The construction cost was $7,880.

 

 

 

 

 

1900:

deyoungfamily-300px.jpg

Victorian architect Clinton Day designed an addition to the stately home. The de Young family played host to many lavish parties during the family's nearly 30 years of ownership. 

1918:

meadowlands-deed-170.jpg M.H. de Young sold the property to the Dominican Sisters of San Rafael for $10, making Meadowlands Dominican's first significant gift. The building became the college's very first dormitory hall. 

 

 

1923:

old_meadowlands-300.jpg

The Dominican Sisters of San Rafael added a wing on the left side of the house to accommodate 27 new dormitory rooms and a large assembly hall on the ground floor.

 

1924:

1924-shield-170.jpg

Dominican’s shield tradition began in Meadowlands Assembly Hall.

The top most windows in this assembly hall are superb, colorful stained glass windows in the shape of class shields. Every year, seniors at Dominican officially greet incoming freshman with a class shield.

 

 


1977:

2012-meadowlands-300.jpg

Meadowlands was named a building of “Historical Importance” by the San Rafael Cultural Commission.

2012:

lewis_300_199.jpg

An $8 million-plus gift from Rolf Lewis and his family will enable Dominican to transform Meadowlands into a state-of-the-art Academic facility. 

 

Vintage images by: Dominican University of California Archives 


Common Sites & Pages


Students

Faculty & Staff

Alumni/Parents