DOMINICAN UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA HAS RECEIVED THE LARGEST EVER GIFT IN THE HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSITY TO TRANSFORM MEADOWLANDS HALL INTO A STATE-OF-THE-ART ACADEMIC FACILITY.
On November 14th, 2012, President Mary B. Marcy announced an $8 million-plus gift from University Trustee Rolf Lewis and family. The gift will enable the University to embark on a major renovation of Meadowlands Hall into a state-of-the art academic facility that will house the Department of Nursing and the Department of Occupational Therapy.
In 1918, San Francisco Chronicle founder Michael H. de Young sold his summer home to the Dominican Sisters of San Rafael for a mere ten dollars, making Meadowlands Hall Dominican’s first significant gift.
For nearly 100 years, Meadowlands answered some of Dominican’s most pressing needs, first a dormitory then expanding to include an assembly hall, conference rooms, and academic offices. This beloved building has served as home to generations of students and as a venue for countless campus events and celebrations.
It is only fitting that Meadowlands is the focus of another transformative gift –the largest ever in Dominican’s history – and one that again draws from the past to meet a future need.
Watch a video excerpt of the announcement by Dominican University of California's President Mary B. Marcy.