Dominican University of California Mentorship Program is an online resource connecting Dominican students to alumni, faculty and others who mentor them by providing advice, information and support. Dominican students can choose mentors who have similar career, academic or cultural interests and who have expertise in areas ranging from medicine to technology, education, social work and beyond.
Why not Expand your World?
As a Mentee, you can gain perspective on your long-term career goals; acquire advice on balancing education, career, and extracurricular activities; and receive honest feedback and encouragement. As a Mentor, you can build a student's confidence, knowledge, and motivation needed to succeed by sharing your expertise and support. Students, staff, and alumni can further broaden their networks by also informally linking up with other Mentorship Program participants.
How the Mentorship Program works
- Mentors and Dominican students register with EdgeOnCollege and fill out their profiles online. The mentorship network is exclusive and closed to non-affiliated users.
- Dominican students may choose to connect with mentors who have similar career, academic, or cultural interests and who have expertise in areas ranging from medicine to technology, law, and beyond. Please note that mentors do not select which Dominican students to mentor. The Dominican students initiate the first contact with their mentor(s), and take the lead on staying in touch.
- Mentors can control how much time they commit to mentoring by choosing how many mentees they accept to be connected with, and how much time they dedicate to each student. Please note that it is not a mentor's responsibility to find employment for a student.
- Mentors do not have to be located in the Bay Area: communication can be via email, phone, or in person. Mentees and mentors communicate in whatever way is most comfortable to them and works best with their schedules.
Special note for mentors
- Once you are selected to be a mentor, encourage your mentee to be candid about what he/she hopes to gain from the experience. Please note that it is not a mentor's responsibility to find employment for a student.
- How much time you commit to mentoring is up to you. You can decide how many mentees you accept and how much time you dedicate to each student.
Register for the Mentorship Program
- You must have a Dominican email account to register (@dominican.edu, @students.dominican.edu, or @alumni.dominican.edu). At registration, EdgeOnCollege verifies that you are a member of the Dominican community by checking that you have entered a Domincan email address. The verification email from EdgeOnCollege will be sent to the Dominican email address, so you need to be able to log in to your Dominican email account.
- Do you have a Dominican email account and know your username and password? Great, move on to step two.
- Do you need a Dominican Alumni email account? Register for your Dominican email account here. You will be notified within 24 hours that your account is active. Once you have an active email account you can register on the EdgeOnCollege website.
- If you are not a Dominican Student or Alumni, please contact the Office of Alumni Relations at 415-482-3507or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Register with EdgeOnCollege. Go to the EdgeOnCollege website. Click on "Register" and select Dominican University of California Mentorship Program. Enter your Dominican email address and create a user name and password.