Many new students ask what computer they should purchase before coming to Dominican. Below are some of our recommendations on what to purchase.
Dominican University, students, faculty and staff are eligible for Microsoft Student Select pricing found at the www.JourneyEd.com/Select – all those who work and attend Dominican University have the opportunity to purchase Office Pro for Windows at $79.98, Office 2008 for Mac at $84.94
Special pricing offer ends October 15th! Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007 at $59.98.
- We recommend purchasing a laptop when this is financially viable. Portable computers are more expensive, usually about $500 to $1,000 more for comparable hardware, but they can be brought to the library for work and if there are problems, they are easier to bring to a service center for repair than a desktop computer.
- For those on a budget, we have found that Windows-based computers are better for more students than Mac based computers. If you are an art student, or working on a teaching credential, Macs are better as Macs are mostly used by graphic artists and elementary and high schools. If you are not an artist or working on a teaching credential, a Windows PC is probably sufficient for you. To get special education discounts on Mac computers, browse to the apple store at http://store.apple.com then click on education store (bottom of page) and then search for Dominican University of California or use our ZIP - 94901.
- If you elect to go with a Windows-based computer, we love Dell. Dell's pricing is competitive and their service and support is consistently the best. Additionally, you can receive a discount as a Dominican student that ranges between 2% and 12% depending upon the model and configuration. The number to call is 1-800-695-8133. Just mention to the salesperson that you are a student at Dominican University of California. Download a special $100-off coupon from Dell. If you select Dell we recommend purchasing the 3 year warranty. Here is a link to Dell's website: www.dell.com.
- If you decide upon a portable (laptop) computer make sure that it includes a wireless network card as well as a normal network port AND an internal modem. Most portable computers now come with these by default but beware of any 'special deals'. Such deals may often not include a wireless network card. With the wireless network card you will be able to access the Internet from Dominican's various wireless access points.
- We STRONGLY recommend purchasing a computer with a CD and/or DVD burner. With a CD/DVD burner you can backup your documents and school work so that when, not if, your computer dies your work is not lost!
- We STRONGLY recommend purchasing a USB drive.
- If you select a Windows based computer, here are some of the technical specifications we recommend:
- Make sure to get 2 (gb) Gigabytes. The more memory your computer has the nicer it will run.
- Don't purchase the fastest CPU available. The fastest computers usually have a $200 premium for a relatively small boost in performance. We recommend getting the 2nd or 3rd fastest CPU for the computer model that you select.
- If you do not plan on downloading music and using your computer as a stereo a 80 GB hard drive should be sufficient. If you are doing graphic work or plan on playing a lot of music you should get a minimum of a 120 GB hard drive.