Preliminary Credential Requirements
To qualify for a preliminary credential recommendation, you must complete all of the requirements below:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- Current fingerprint records and an approved background check on file with the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC). (This may include one of the following: Certificate of Clearance, 30 Day Emergency Teaching Permit, Child Development Permit, other current credential authorization from the CCTC.)
- Current negative TB test (no more than 2 years old)
- Basic Skills Requirement (passing scores on the California Basic Educational Skills Test-CBEST, the CSET Multiple Subject Exam with Writing, or an approved basic skills exam from another state)
- Course in child/adolescent development (program co-requisite)
- Subject Matter Competency (passing scores on the California Subject Examination for Teachers-CSET or through the completion of a Commission-approved Subject Matter Preparation Program-secondary only- in the subject area for which they are seeking a credential)
- Passing score on the Reading Instruction Competence Assessment-RICA (multiple subject and education specialist only)
- Passing scores on Teaching Performance Assessment (TPA)
- U.S. Constitution requirement (passing grade in a course at least two semester units or three quarter units or passing score on an examination in the Provisions and Principles of the U.S. Constitution given by a regionally accredited college, or university)
- CPR for adults, infants and children by the American Heart Association or American Red Cross
- Zero balance verification from the Dominican Business Office
- Official transcripts from all college level coursework
- Passing grades in all credential coursework
- Form #14: Program Completion Questionnaire
Applying for your preliminary teaching credential
After you have successfully completed all credential requirements, including supervised teaching, you will be recommended for your Preliminary Teaching Credential.
1. Complete the Dominican Credential Checklist (Form #3) and send this completed form to the credential analyst
2. Once the credential analyst has received the completed credential application, you will be recommended for your preliminary credential.
3. Be prepared to pay all CCTC fees with a valid credit card; the amount will be determined based on the number of credentials and/or authorizations applied for
4. After the recommendation is submitted, you will receive an email directing you to the CCTC’s website where you complete your online recommendation application process and pay the fees with a credit card.
5. Once you complete the online application and pay the fee, your credential will be available online in approximately ten business days.