Kristin Dempsey, M.S., MFT
Adjunct Faculty in Psychology
Professional Licenses and Memberships
- Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, MFC 33809
- Clinical Member, California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists (CAMFT)
- Motivational Interviewing Network of Trainers
Professional Certifications or Registrations
- Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training-Full Trainer
- Wellness Recovery Action Plan-Facilitator
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprogramming-Phase 1 and Phase 2 trained
- Neurosequential Model of Therapeutics-Phase 1 trained, currently training as NMT trainer
- M.S., Marriage and Family Counseling, San Francisco State University, San Francisco
- B.A., Womens Studies, San Francisco State University, San Francisco
Areas of Expertise and Professional Practice
- Addiction Treatment - Including Chemical Dependency and Process Addictions
- Severe Mental Illness
- Co-Occurring Mental Health and Substance Use Conditions
- Treatment of Trauma/Trauma Informed Care
- Child and Adolescent Treatment
- Integrated Treatment
- Program Management
- Behavioral Health Care Workforce Development
- Women's Health Care and Family Planning
- Strength-Based Case Management
- Motivational Interviewing
- Acceptance-Based Cognitive Behavioral Therapies
- Senior Associate/Program Manager for the Bay Area Mental Health and Education Workforce Collaborative
- Private Therapy and Consultation Practice, San Mateo and San Francisco Counties
- Counseling Lecturer, San Francisco State University
- Evolving Practice Means Evolving Supervision: Keeping Supervision Current With Ongoing Curriculum, California Therapist, September 2010
- "Wellness and Recovery: The Evolution and Integration of Hope in Behavioral Health Care (chapter), The Praeger Handbook of Community Mental Health Practice. Praeger: Santa Barbara, CA, 2013.
- Frequent contributor to monthly newsletter Wellness Matters, published by San Mateo County Behavioral Health and Recovery Services
Workshop and Symposia Presentations
- Practice is Progress: Second Annual Trauma Conference. May 12, 2010, South San Francisco. Motivational Interviewing as a Trauma-Informed Treatment Approach.
- California Mental Health Advocates for Children and Youth (CMHACY) Annual Conference, May 6, 2010, Asilomar, CA (co-presented). Implementing Effective Co-Occurring Youth Services.
- Second Annual Change Agent Un-convention, October 16, 2009, San Diego (Co-presented). Rolling with Resistance: Using Motivational Interviewing Working with Mandated Clients.
- Second Annual Change Agent Un-convention, October 16, 2009, San Diego (Co-presented). Motivational Interviewing Strategies for Clients with Co-Occurring Issues, Including Trauma.
- 8th annual World Conference of the Association for Contextual Behavioral Science (ACBS), June 21, 2010, Reno, NV. An Engaging Partnership: Integration of ACT and the Motivational Interviewing Model.
- Motivational Interviewing Network of Trainers Annual Forum, October 7, 2010. Mi and Acceptance and Commitment Therapy: Connecting and Working with Kindred Spirits.
- Can We Talk? A Greater Bay Area Conference to Address Consumer and Family Member Employment in the Public Mental Health System, October 20, 2010, Burlingame, CA
- (Co-presented). Coming Out as Consumers and Family Members: Practitioners Stepping Forward to Combat Stigma.
- California Association of Marriage and Family Therapist Though Leaders Workshop Series, November 7, 2010 and January 23, 2011, Burlingame and Los Angeles. Taking the Next Steps
- Forward Toward Progressive Clinical Practice: Supervision Skills to Address the New Mental Health Services Act Learning Priorities for Mental Health Professionals
- California Association of Social Rehabilitation Agencies, Spring Conference, April 28, 2011, San Mateo. It Takes a Village; Community Connections that Support Recovery
- California Community College Mental Health and Wellness Association, Two Day Conference, April 29, 2011. Suicide on Campus; Creating and Effective, Compassionate Response.
- California Mental Health Advocates for Children and Youth (CMHACY) Annual Conference, May 12, 2011, Asilomar, CA (co-presented) Trauma 101 for Youth Mental Health Providers.
- Third Annual Change Agent Un-convention, October 24, 2011, Pacific Grove, CA (Co-presented). Motivational Interviewing Strategies for Clients with Co-Occurring Issues
- Motivational Interviewing Network of Trainers Annual Forum, September 14, 2012. , Fort Wayne, Indiana, Mindfulness and Motivation
- Motivational Interviewing Network of Trainers Annual Forum, September 14, 2012. , Fort Wayne, Indiana, (Co-presented) Motivational Interviewing and Creating a Comprehensive, Continuous, Integrated System of Care.
- California Association of Social Rehabilitation Agencies, Spring Conference, April 3, 2013, San Mateo. Trauma-Informed Assessment.
Courses in 2013-2014
- CP 5203 Advanced Counseling Techniques: Behavioral/Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- CP 5209Advanced Counseling Techniques: Client Advocacy and Collaborative Care