Assistant Professor, Multiple Subjects Program
Bertrand Hall Room 23-A
- Ph.D. in Anthropology, University of California, Berkeley
- M.A. in Anthropology, University of California, Berkeley
- M.A. in Education, San Francisco State University
- B.Ed., University of Toledo, Ohio
Courses in 2012-2013
- EDUC 4056/5050 English Language Development
- EDUC 5920 Cultural Pluralism
- CLQ 3220 Rituals of Belief and Belonging
Areas of Expertise and Research Interests
- English Language Development
- Educational Achievement
- Discourse and Subjectivity Immigration
- Transnational Identities
- Academic Tracking
Tracking Identity: Academic Performance and Ethnic Identity among Ecuadorian Immigrant Teenagers in Madrid. (2011). Anthropology and Education Quarterly 42(3):213-229.
Rendimiento escolar e identificación latina como factores de segregación en Madrid (Academic Performance and Social Identification as Factors of Segregation). (2009). In Matilde Fernández Montes y Waltraud Mullauer Seitcher (eds.), La integración escolar a debate (Debates about School Integration). Pearson Press: Madrid.
La identidad emergente de los latinos en Madrid (The Emergent Identity of Latinos in Madrid). (2008). In J. A. Téllez (Ed.): Educación intercultural. Miradas multidisciplinares (Intercultural Education: Multidisciplinary Perspectives). MEC/La Catarata: Madrid.
Racism: A Teenagers’ Perspective. Results of Preliminary Research from Madrid, Spain. (2007). INTER Group (co-author). In Navareme Publications, volume 6. Navreme: Vienna.
Conferences in 2012-2013
- Paper presented: Reimagining boundaries of integration and ethnic solidarity: Transnational social networks of Ecuadorian teenagers in Madrid. Annual Meetings of the American Anthropological Association, San Francisco, November 17, 2012.
- Paper Presented: There’s No Participation in “Our” Participatory- Action Research Project: Overcoming Hierarchies in Service-Learning Partnerships. Annual Conference of the International Association for Service-Learning and Community Engagement, Baltimore, September 25, 2012.
- Discussant on the Panel Crossing Borders in Intercultural Education: From Theory to Practice. Annual Meetings of the American Anthropological Association, San Francisco, November 14, 2012.
- HEDS Workshop: Including Conversations with Students in Your Assessment Work. Wabash College, Crawfordsville, Indiana, October 25–27, 2012.
- Professional Clear Multiple Subject Teaching Credential
- BCLAD Spanish Language Certificate (Bilingual, Cross-cultural, Language and Academic Development)
- CLAD Certificate (Cross-cultural, Language and Academic Development)
- Professional Clear Specialist Instruction Credential in Special Education