Our Leadership Philosophy
A constructive organizational culture—culture where colleagues trust one another, maintain ethical values and hold one another accountable for achieving shared organizational goals—tends to emerge from an organizational environment that establishes clear priorities and focuses on results.
As participants in leadership education at Dominican, you will explore relationships between leaders, teams and individuals. You will learn that trust, conflict, clarity, accountability and achieving results are inter-related and that organizations that empower their employees to demonstrate leadership are the successful and thriving ones.
OUR Guiding Principles
- Institute for Leadership Studies' guiding principles are based on Dominican values of study, reflection, community and service.
- ILS serves as a partner to our campus as well as our civic and business communities
- ILS serves all students and alumni and focuses on students, curriculum and engaging them in community projects leading to learning and service.
- Develop leadership skills through study, research, and experimentation
- Conduct cutting-edge research of leadership ideas and practices
- Ensure that leadership models are broad and responsive to ethical, cultural, contexts and situations
- Integrate leadership theory and practice across the curriculum
- Engage in creative vision that is integral to effective, ethical leadership
- Examine multiple perspectives of moral principles in reflecting on defining ethical leadership
- Meet the needs of organizations by guiding their choices of strategic objectives through action research
- Seek full participation to reach agreement on mutual organizational goals
- Effect positive organizational and community change through the process of leadership development
- Promote civic engagement as a cornerstone of democracy
- Offer opportunities to practice socially responsible leadership
- Recognize the importance of leadership and partnership at work, home, & in the community
- Bridge the university and Bay Area community through research, education, and community service
- Improve our campus by mobilizing students to service in the community
- Partner with organizations to resolve conflict and achieve their goals towards positive change
- Practice teamwork to creatively achieve community or business effectiveness