Explore the featured press & media about First Year Experience "Big History" at Dominican University of California.
- International Big History Association Newsletter (pdf), October 2012
Reflections on the 2012 Inaugural IBHA Conference
- Big History, Big Lesson, Metanexus, May 2012
What should students learn in their first year of college? Should freshman seminars be foundational—and how do we interpret the term “foundational” in the context of liberal education?
- International Big History Association Newsletter (pdf), January 2012
This is not the old distribution-requirements model:one course in social science, one from the arts, and so on. The Big History sequence embodies “engaged learning,” emphasizing truly integrated, hands-on study.
- Marin Voice: Liberal Arts Education is Becoming More Important, Marin IJ, November 2011
This is not the old distribution-requirements model: one course in social science, one from the arts, and so on. The Big History sequence embodies "engaged learning," emphasizing truly integrated, hands-on study.
- California College Helps Place Humans in Universe Story, National Catholic Reporter, November 2011
After two brief months of studying "Big History," Andy Gramajo, 18, has a new perception of the human species. "When compared to the Universe, we are a pixel on a computer screen," he said. "I feel privileged to learn about the Big Bang and evolution."
- Big History on Campus, Inside Higher Ed, October 2011
Last month, freshmen at Dominican University of California spent a night stargazing with the help of 20 amateur astronomers from San Francisco. The night under the stars was part of their academic year, in which they will study the history and evolution of the universe.
- At Dominican, freshman year is 13 billion years long, Marin IJ, August 2011
The 250 first-year students who begin the year at San Rafael's Dominican University on Monday may eventually major in literature, biology, mathematics or art. For the next year, however, all of those students will focus on studying the same subject: Everything.
Are you interested in featuring First Year Experience "Big History" or learning more about the program for related media? Please contact our News Office for more information.
News Office, 105 Guzman Hall
Dominican University of California
50 Acacia Avenue
San Rafael, CA 94901