Ms. Howard began teaching at Dominican University of California in spring 2004.
Department Chair, Assistant Professor
Office: Guzman Gazebo
Dominican Scholar Profile
BA University of California, Los Angeles
MA Pepperdine University
MA University of Oklahoma
Teaching and Research Interests
Alison teaches courses on the presidency, Congress, media and politics, and political parties and interest groups. Her research interests include the presidency, Congress, and the field of political communication.
- Co-author of Addressing the State of the Union: The Evolution and Impact of the President's Big Speech (Lynne Rienner Publishers, 2006).
- Alison D. Howard and Donna R. Hoffman. 2010. "Talking to Millennials: Policy Rhetoric and Rhetorical Narratives in the 2008 Presidential Campaign." In Communication in the 2008 U.S. Election: Digital Natives Elect a President. Mitchell McKinney and Mary Banwart, eds. New York: Peter Lang Publishing Group.
- Alison D. Howard. State of the Union Address. Encyclopedia of Political Communication. Lynda L. Kaid, ed. Thousand Oaks: California: Sage Publications 2008.
- Alison D. Howard and Donna R. Hoffman. 2013. "A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words: Building American National Identity Through Art." Perspectives on Political Science June, 2013
- Alison D. Howard and Donna R. Hoffman. 2012. "Obama in Words and Deeds." Social Science Quarterly, December 2012.
- Alison D. Howard and Donna R. Hoffman.2007. "Policy making rhetoric and Youth Issues in the 2004 Presidential Campaign." American Behavioral Scientist, May 2007.
- Alison D. Howard and Donna R. Hoffman. 2007. "Representations of 9-11 in Editorial Cartoons." PS: Political Science and Politics, April 2007.