Chair, Graduate Humanities Program
Ph.D. Graduate Theological Union, Christian Ethics and Social Theory
M.Div. Pacific School of Religion
B.A. Saint Olaf College, Philosophy and Urban Studies
Newly Released Book!
Christian Ethics: A Case Method Approach.
Available through Amazon.
Disrupting Homelessness: Alternative Christian Approaches.
Available through Amazon.
Achievements and Honors
- “Engaging Ethics of Care in Nurse Education,” Strategic Initiative Grant, Dominican University of California, 2011
- “Building Democratic Learning Communities and Fostering Engaged Learning,” School of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences Strategic Initiative Grant, Dominican University of California, 2011
- American Academy of Religion Research Grant, 2009
- Starnes Award for Outstanding Achievement, Pfeiffer University, 2008
- Wabash Small Project Grant for Department Goals and Outcomes, Project Director, 2008
- Department of Education Title III Research Grant, Pfeiffer University, 2005 and 2007
- Department of Education Title III Course Revision Grant, Pfeiffer University, 2006 and 2007
- Wabash Research Grant, Lily Endowment, 2004
- Wabash Teaching and Learning Workshop Grant, 2003-2004
- Award for Excellence in Service Learning, Pfeiffer University, 2002
- Phi Delta Sigma Honor Society at Pfeiffer University, inducted 2001
- Moral Philosophy
- Social Justice and the Common Good
- Environmental Philosophy and Ethics
- Environmental Advocacy: From Preservation to Eco-Justice
- Introduction to Philosophy
- Philosophy of Human Nature
- Introduction to Logic and Critical Thinking
- Philosophical and Christian Ethics
- Founders of Ancient Philosophy
- Founders of Modern Philosophy
- Christian Servant Leadership
- Philosophy of Religion
- Research in Religion
Social Justice, Privilege, and Oppression
Wilderness to Eco-Justice
Contemporary Christian Theology
- Disrupting Homelessness: From Charity to Community. Minneapolis, MN: Fortress Press, 2011.
- Christian Ethics: A Case Method Approach, Fourth Edition, By Laura Stivers, Jim Martin-Schramm, and Christine Gudrof. Maryknoll, New York: Orbis Books, February 2012
- Justice in a Global Economy: Strategies for Home, Community, and World, edited by Laura Stivers, Pamela Brubaker, and Rebecca Todd Peters. Louisville, Kentucky: Westminster/John Knox Press, 2006. Chosen “Outstanding Title of 2007” by Choice: Current Reviews for Academic Libraries, v.45, no. 05, January 2008.
- “Teaching Religion and Ecology/Nature,” Spotlight on Teaching, Religious Studies News, American Academy of Religion, May 2011.
- “Economic Ethics,” in Liberative Ethics, edited by Miquel de la Torre. Minneapolis, MN: Fortress Press, Spring 2012.
- “Water as Earth’s Bloodstream or Commodity? Latina Ecofeminist Responses,” chapter in a book on spirituality, editor Timothy Hessel-Robinson, Fall 2011.
- “Making a Home for All in God's Compassionate Community: A Feminist Liberation Assessment of Christian Responses to Homelessness and Housing,” in Journal of the Society of Christian Ethics, volume 28.2, Fall/Winter 2008.
- From Homelessness to Hope: Constructing Just, Sustainable Communities For All God’s People. Writer of theological section and co-editor of document. Presbyterian Church U.S.A. social witness statement on homelessness, 2008.
- “A Sense of Place in a Globalized World: Place-Based Organizing for Corporate Accountability” in Journal of the Society of Christian Ethics, volume 27.1, Spring/Summer 2007: 95-112.
- “Holding Corporations Accountable” in Justice in a Global Economy: Strategies for Home, Community, and World, edited by Laura Stivers, Pamela Brubaker, and Rebecca Todd Peters. Louisville, Kentucky: Westminster/John Knox Press, 2006.
- “Resistance to Structural Adjustment Policies,” in Resistance and Theological Ethics, edited by Robert L. Stivers and Ronald H. Stone. Lanham, Maryland: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers Inc., 2004.
- American Academy of Religion
- Society of Christian Ethics
- Social Ethics Network