The oldest residence hall and the only original estate home remaining on campus, Meadowlands Hall was built in 1888 and served as the summer home for Michael de Young and his family. The de Young’s are the founders of the San Francisco Chronicle and the de Young Museum, also in San Francisco. In 1918, the Dominican Sisters purchased the stately parcel. The hall features fine leaded glass windows, the mural-clad Hunt Room, the Meadowlands Assembly Hall, and a sweeping front porch facing the sprawling Meadowlands lawn and a view of Mt. Tamalpais.
Meadowlands is a campus treasure which houses up to 85 students from all classes: freshman, sophomore, juniors, and seniors.
"It was great living in Meadowlands. The huge mansion gives students peace of mind while sleeping, breathing, and living in a piece of Marin history."
- Philip Young '07
One of three assembly halls, the Meadowlands Assembly Hall is located on the ground level of Meadowlands Hall. The top most windows in this assembly hall are actually superb, colorful stained glass windows in the shape of class shields. The shield tradition began in 1924. Every year, seniors at Dominican officially greet incoming freshman with these special gifts. The shields are designed with artfully created images and an inspirational motto. The mottos are intended to help guide the freshman throughout college and life.